PDA

View Full Version : why not buy a laser and stage/scanner and diy

eugene johnson
07-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I am not sure why you guys do not buy a laser and a scanner or stage separatlly and diy. That would save some money and get a better system. Is it too expensive to buy only one laser or scanner/stage?

J Porter
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
I consider myself to be a bit of a geek and my career was spent as an engineer. I considered building my own laser system but when I put the pencil to it, the cost of the laser, the mechanics to drive an assembly plus the computer system and software to control it, it simply wasn't economical.

By going with a manufactured system I was much more assured of being able to use commercially available software AND being able to communicate with others in a group such as this one.

I would still really love to build my own laser system, but I also have to generate an income. So when it came down to a decision, my choice was to get something, learn to use it and generate a cash flow. Maybe I'll tackle this project sometime in the future.

Chuck Burke
07-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm confused. Just what are we talking about here?

Chuck

Rodne Gold
07-11-2005, 11:57 PM
He's most likely talking about a source and a motion platform as 2 separate entities. Kinda like buying an engine and the car as 2 items and trying to integrate them.
Eugene , thats like re-inventing the wheel - its extremely difficult to tie the 2 together for 99.99% of users. Would never be worth it. However a LOT of ppl DO retrofit lasers to things like large format overhead routing systems , but these are mainly used for industrial cutting.

eugene johnson
07-12-2005, 1:46 AM
Since most of the stage/scanner aslo provide software and it is easy to control laser. It is not so difficult to make a laser system working. Who has experience on DIY? I am thinking of make a laser system myself and share info with those who have the same interest.

Rodne Gold
07-12-2005, 7:39 AM
Most of the people that purchase the low output Co2 engraving lasers would NOT want to have to deal with the stuff you are going to encounter - so why bother?
What exactly do you think you are going to save ? Laser manfgrs will be able to get their sources far cheaper than you and have been there , done that and got the t-shirt.
There are tons of sites which have done what you want to do , buying surplus lasers and using them on various platforms , some work ok , but at the end of it all , none work as well as a commercial product which will make money from day one and does not require you to be a rocket scientist to make or operate.
Im being realistic here. Same thing is prevalent in 2/3d overhead routers , amny home built designs but the commercial ones are what sells , the R&D has been done and they work well.

Chuck Burke
07-12-2005, 1:53 PM
I must not have had my coffee when I read the original post. Now I understand.
Rodney, it is like why do people still build their own computers when the price of a dell is often cheaper than the components for a DIY computer? BECAUSE THEY CAN. Or simply want to. Now that I understand the question I can understand the reasoning..... but for business purposes, it just doesn't make sense to DIY.

Just my two cents. Want change?

Chuck