PDA

View Full Version : Lasering multiple items with Lasercut 5.3

Dennis Watson
10-05-2014, 8:31 PM
Ok, I had to do 130 glass awards and at first I thought I would take a piece of 1/8" thick piece of wood paneling and burn 8 holes to locate the awards. Then I realized that the head would run into them on its way back to the home position when done.
So I said well I will do 4 and have the turned up bases to the front of the laser. Well that worked, but oh so slow.
The time traveling over all 4 awards is not time efficient. I ended up doing one at a time.

Is there a way to tell lasercut to complete one, then the next than the next etc.?

Here is how they turned out.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2948/15266621290_0dfdf519f3_o.jpg

John Noell
10-05-2014, 9:01 PM
Nice job! They look great!

Dennis Watson
10-05-2014, 9:13 PM
Thank you.

Kev Williams
10-05-2014, 9:34 PM
If lasercut is like most other programs, yes-- Just make the text and graphics for each plate a different color. First one black, second one red, third one green, etc... just make sure all the settings match.. I'll use different colors within the same plate sometimes to avoid rastering over dead space...

Dennis Watson
10-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Oh yea, I will try that and let you know.

Ross Moshinsky
10-06-2014, 1:06 PM
130 awards is a nice order and the layout looks very solid.

As for the topic, it really depends on how anal you are. Glass/crystal awards are glued down inconsistently. Often varying in gluing location over 1/8". That's not even taking into account the manufacturing issues and inconsistencies. This can play havoc on keeping things symmetrical. Not to be critical, but I can tell you're engraving is off by ~1/16". I engrave all my glass center/center now to limit those issues. So on a job like this, I'd also do one at a time, but for completely different reasons.