PDA

View Full Version : Router Collet Problem

Mark W Pugh
10-05-2014, 6:08 PM
OK, another issue. When removing a bit from the router(Triton big router), the collet loosens, then about 1 1/2 turns it binds again. So, you have to use the wrench twice to get the bit out.

What causes this and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

One of these days I will get my router and table figured out.

glenn bradley
10-05-2014, 6:30 PM
This is the auto-unlock feature that most quality routers have today. The first oomph gets you loose and the second oomph frees the collet from the bit. No more jammed bits like in days of old ;-) My Bosch Colt and Dremel do not have this feature and sometimes its a fight to get the bit out.

Tom Blank
10-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I believe this is a function of the fingers on the collet being cut from both ends in an alternating pattern. I had the same question and asked a machinist buddy about it. He explained it in great detail, but as Glenn said - it is a good thing.

Tom

Rick Christopherson
10-06-2014, 4:33 AM
It's not any sort of special feature. It is simply the result of the collet being attached to the nut. The first turn loosens the nut from the arbor threads. The next is from the nut pulling the collet out of the taper.

Bill White
10-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Had the same issue with my Freud. Made me nutso until I figured out the extra turn or two that would release the bit. Great feature, but not well discussed in the manual.
Bill

Jim Rimmer
10-06-2014, 1:17 PM
As the others said, it's supposed to do that.

Mark W Pugh
10-06-2014, 5:53 PM
Thanks all.

Glenn Warner
10-08-2014, 7:56 PM
For you Colt and Porter Cable owners without the automatic feature: if the bit gets stuck just tap the side of the collet nut with the wrench. Works every time.

Peter Quinn
10-08-2014, 9:05 PM
i like watching a new guy at work trying to get a bit out of an old pc router, they all lock on to the bits and wont let go. I like to let them fight with it a while, not so much that they get crazy and try to pull the stuck bit out and get cut....just enough to have a little fun. I'm evil that way. Its how I learned and I like passing on the tradition. Best part is the look on their face when you take that PC collet wrench, luckily there is a pretty broad target to hit, and give the collet a good solid whack, then the bit slides right out and you hand it to them like it was free the whole time. Yeah..the good old days. When men were men and collets were frozen......man I don't miss those collets. Thanks for the self freeing collets, saves a fortune in router bits when some clumsy idiot misses the flat on the collet nut and hits the carbide......not that I've done that....nooooooo, not me.....