PDA

View Full Version : Is it the drill, battery or charger?

John T Barker
10-05-2014, 4:17 PM
We have a mess of cordless drills at my workplace and a number of them are dying out, use wise. My coworkers and I tell the manager to go for the cheap fix and assume it's the battery...$20 on Amazon. Is there a way to tell which is causing the drill to not work, or turn with low power?

Jason Roehl
10-05-2014, 4:32 PM
It's almost always the batteries. But drills and chargers do go bad, too.

Justin Ludwig
10-05-2014, 4:38 PM
The mere fact that the battery replacement on Amazon is only $20 makes me think it would have to be the battery (OEM or not). What gun uses a battery that is so inexpensive?

John T Barker
10-05-2014, 4:53 PM
The mere fact that the battery replacement on Amazon is only $20 makes me think it would have to be the battery (OEM or not). What gun uses a battery that is so inexpensive?

One of the smaller Dewalt models...DC750.

Justin Ludwig
10-05-2014, 4:59 PM
I test the guns with multiple different batteries, all fully charged as indicated by the charger's light. Once I ruled out the battery, I'd move on to torque tests (which is completely relative to the type of gun) and smell check. The guns I've had go out in the past due to motor usually smelled "funny" after putting thru some rigorous use (deck screws, 3" prime guard into 2x4's, etc).