PDA

View Full Version : Ebony and Ivory

John Hart
07-11-2005, 9:04 PM
A few years ago, I refinished an antique piano and had to get genuine ivory keytops so I bought as many as I could find to ensure good matching. After I was done, I had a pile of ivory keytops with no home....So, despite some press I've read regarding the instability of Ebony...I decided to give this a try anyway.
The Ebony behaved very well, although my skills are still lacking. I'm not terribly happy with the finish or the fit but I identified all those failings and I'll correct them on the next try. Thanks for looking!!

Keith Burns
07-11-2005, 9:15 PM
That looks great to me, nice contrast and design. Two thumbs up !

Doug Shepard
07-11-2005, 9:32 PM
Wow - Deja Vu. I'm currently working on an inlay out of ebony and holly. This was the first time working with either. What's really surprised me about the ebony was that it's so dense it doesn't really seem to care what direction it's planed in, although you DO have to keep the plane blades sharp or it just wont cut at all. It does seem to be a tad on the brittle side though. Looks like it doesn't have any objections about being turned either.

Ernie Nyvall
07-11-2005, 9:39 PM
Wow John, that looks great. Looks like you are expanding your skills quickly. What kit is that?

Hey, I just ordered my stuff today for making pens. Thanks again for all your help. I had to work the weekend to get the 32 bucks (after taxes :( ) for the next size mandrel beginner's kit, and ordered the both of them.

Ernie

John Hart
07-11-2005, 9:45 PM
Thanks Guys!

Doug...The Ebony is an absolute pleasure to turn....no apparent grain to deal with and it looked like glass before the finish.

By the way...the centerband is made from some scrap Bahama Cherry I had laying around...It smells good and polishes well too.

Congratulations Ernie! Sounds like you're on your way to total addiction! This is a slimline kit like the one you're getting. I just made my own centerband so I could have control of the overall shape. (a recommendation from some accomplished penturners)

Gary Max
07-11-2005, 9:58 PM
Great looking pen you got there John---I have a epony pen that is about 6 months old.
I still check it to see if it is going to crack. Must of been reading the same press. The old ivory sounds real neat---got any extra??? HeHe

John Hart
07-11-2005, 10:06 PM
...The old ivory sounds real neat---got any extra??? HeHe

Sure! Got an address?...PM me....You pay the shipping (.37):D

Jim Ketron
07-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Thats a Nice One John! The finish looks awesome!
Do you ever sleep bud:D

John Hart
07-13-2005, 5:47 AM
Thats a Nice One John! The finish looks awesome!
Do you ever sleep bud:D

Sleep?

heh heh...thanks Jim. I've decided to keep this one for myself.