PDA

View Full Version : Garniga kitchen cabinet rail and stile set

Joseph Fronio
10-04-2014, 3:53 PM
Need help! I am having major trouble getting the cope and pattern cuts to marry together without a small, maybe 1-2mm gap in between patterns. Even when the heights match up perfect. I replaced the carbide tip groove cutters with new ones from laguna. These new cutters are thicker by maybe 2mm. Every time I try and raise the cutter that extra 1mm to route a rail, it starts to remove material from the top of the work piece. Any suggestions?

peter gagliardi
10-04-2014, 5:01 PM
Not familiar with those exact cutters, but I do have another brand of insert cutter. However, it can be very easy for the two opposing inserts in a head to be "not in plane"with each other, and is the usual cause of most of the trouble. Do you have an accurate way to measure the axial position of each half in the head?

Ed Weiser
10-04-2014, 7:28 PM
Joseph, I have the Garniga cutter set you describe. I think the problem may be the groove cutter substitution from Laguna. Have you checked Garniga's website? Greg at Rangate sells this cutter set (rangate.com). He is a real stand up guy and I'm sure would answer any question you might have. Hope this helps.

Peter Quinn
10-04-2014, 7:55 PM
My first guess......Laguna sent you the wrong inserts for your cutters set. Check the garniga catalogue, cross reference the inserts recommended for your set with their catalogue, or call Greg Godbout at Rangate for info. I can't think of a good reason to buy garniga cutters from Laguna frankly except when they are on a super sale, better off dealing with the pros at that level. That garniga set should fit like a glove.

Also, if you can post the exact set number you have (garniga makes a lot of different cope and pattern sets) that would help identify your problem perhaps.

Joseph Fronio
10-08-2014, 4:14 PM
Still waiting on an answer from laguna. Talked to them Monday.

peter gagliardi
10-08-2014, 5:40 PM
Well, at least they aren't concerned that you might need to pay bills, or eat from the income from this job! Pretty poor customer service from what it sounds like. I don't think I could go 3 business days without an answer to what appears to be a very simple problem.

Peter Quinn
10-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Still waiting on an answer from laguna. Talked to them Monday.

Call rangate. They really do know these cutters.