PDA

View Full Version : MSC tools, free shipping, then not...what gives?

Kev Williams
10-04-2014, 1:36 PM
I need some abrasive flap wheels. I got some several years ago from MSC tools. I found their webpage just a few minutes ago, and a blue banner appeared that said "FREE REGULAR GROUND SHIPPING ON ORDERS OF $99 OR MORE". So I got 3 wheels, and a few endmills, total was $117-something. And my cart says shipping is $18.01. And now, NOWHERE on their website can I find that banner, or anything else resembling any offer for free shipping...

No, I'm not going to call them. I don't do phone confrontations. Just venting. I'll just get my wheels and endmills somewhere else.

Bruce Page
10-04-2014, 1:51 PM
There’s no need for a confrontation in your phone call. A simple request for an explanation would do. I doubt that it is a bait and switch, MSC has been around a long time. Sometimes there are simply quirks in the software.

Kev Williams
10-04-2014, 1:55 PM
I went ahead and ordered the stuff, I don't have time to chase around town for it. And I'm emailing their customer service, we'll see where that goes...

<edit> -- got online on another computer, the banner wanted an email address, so my bad for not noticing--

Matt Day
10-04-2014, 3:33 PM
A phone call can go a long way. I think a lot of people forget how to verbally communicate these days.

Man I sound old.

Kev Williams
10-04-2014, 4:12 PM
Phone calls... ever try to cancel a communication service? ANY of them? Phone, cable, internet? What a joke. The last customer service phone call I made was to the seller of a 3000 watt transformer I'd bought. Had a 1 year warrantee. At 6 months it quit. First question I was asked was "what was the wattage of the equipment you used?"- Oh, a 1000 watt laser, a 400 watt blower and a 100 watt water cooler. "A 3000 watt transformer isn't enough for all that due to startup wattage. You need a 5000 watt transformer." So, you're not going to honor your warrantee-- "No, you overworked it, that's not covered." There was no use arguing my point, which was a laser doesn't require "startup" wattage like motors do, and while idle it only uses about 150 watts. And the other 2 appliances, which if hit by lightning while I turned 'em on at exactly the same time MIGHT draw 2000 watts, were never started together, and were always started while the laser was idle. In short, the transformer never saw anywhere near 3000 watts. In the end, the problem was simply the (only) 10 amp power switch went bad.

Another reason I don't do phones, my ears are shot, and I can't understand what people say. Gets frustrating...

Anyway, the shipping thing was my goof, and I've gotten a "form letter" email back stating they got mine. We'll see what happens from here...

Matt Day
10-04-2014, 4:34 PM
I understand your hearing issue completely, I would do the same if i were you.
But I'd say half the time I call CS I am pleasantly surprised, and sometimes impressed!
Now calling the cable company, that's like talking to a brick wall.

Wade Lippman
10-04-2014, 9:38 PM
Tough night!
I really really hate making mistakes like that; but I bet they will bail you out by giving you the credit. Since you didn't know about your error when you asked, your hands are clean.

Tonight I tried to reconcile my check book 5 times before realizing I was looking at the wrong line 5 times. We all do it.

Bert Kemp
10-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Phone calls... ever try to cancel a communication service? ANY of them? Phone, cable, internet? What a joke. The last customer service phone call I made was to the seller of a 3000 watt transformer I'd bought. Had a 1 year warrantee. At 6 months it quit. First question I was asked was "what was the wattage of the equipment you used?"- Oh, a 1000 watt laser, a 400 watt blower and a 100 watt water cooler. "A 3000 watt transformer isn't enough for all that due to startup wattage. You need a 5000 watt transformer." So, you're not going to honor your warrantee-- "No, you overworked it, that's not covered." There was no use arguing my point, which was a laser doesn't require "startup" wattage like motors do, and while idle it only uses about 150 watts. And the other 2 appliances, which if hit by lightning while I turned 'em on at exactly the same time MIGHT draw 2000 watts, were never started together, and were always started while the laser was idle. In short, the transformer never saw anywhere near 3000 watts. In the end, the problem was simply the (only) 10 amp power switch went bad.

Another reason I don't do phones, my ears are shot, and I can't understand what people say. Gets frustrating...

Anyway, the shipping thing was my goof, and I've gotten a "form letter" email back stating they got mine. We'll see what happens from here...
Kev I have the same hearing problem on the phone I really hate the phone especially fast talking women. I have found that a $10 pair of earbuds that plug into my cell phone make a world of difference as to how I hear.