PDA

View Full Version : And another introduction.

Frankie Hunt
07-11-2005, 8:49 PM
Thought it was about time I introduced myself. I have been mostly "read only". My Dad was a cabinet maker so I have been around woodworking all my life, however I am really just a novice. Sure wish I had of paid more attention while helping him work! I have a standalone woodworking shop in my back yard, a 2 car garage, that Dad and I built about 15 years ago. I do woodworking as a hobby only. I do service work on computers for a living. (VMS and Unix boxes, this should be a clue about which company I work for). I live near the TN/VA border. I have 2 great teenage boys (the eldest just started driving), a wonderful wife and an overactive border collie. My other hobby is ham radio. My call is K4TEN.

I hope I am not breaking any rules by combining an introduction and a gloat! I have upgraded a couple of my tools this spring. It does seem that my shop is getting smaller and smaller! Thought this would be a good time to show some before and after photos.

The Unisaw is my 3rd tablesaw. My first one was a very old Craftsman left tilt. I got rid of it because of its fence and its arbor runnout. I upgraded to the Delta Contractors saw which has served me well. I really like the JetLock fence on it, although I don't very often hear of anyone else liking it. I have my router in the right wing on that saw so I guess I will keep it as long as I can spare the floorspace. I wanted a better blade guard and did not want to add to the contractors saw, so I talked myself into the Unisaw. By the time all was said and done I added the Dewalt sliding table and the Uniguard. I really like these 2 additions! I know it is traditional to have a right tilt saw with a sliding table but thats not what I wanted. I prefer the left tilt saw and felt that most of my non verticle cuts would be with the fence and not the sliding table. The table was pretty easy to install. My Unisaw came with only one cast iron wing so I moved it to the right side. I had to cut the table board down which was no big deal. I also had to modify the front hanger for the Dewalt so that it would mount to the Unifence. I had to find a way to mount the rear hanger too. I went to the local steel company and got a piece of 2 inch angle iron. It is the width of the entire saw. The Unifence does not come with any steel for the table support like the Biesemeyer version does. I didn't like that so I added the steel, which provided a mout for the Dewalt hanger and also beefed up the table extension. I also added a couple of pieces of steel under table so that I can build a small cabinet and mount it there.

The old Craftsman jointer had very small infeed, so small that it was really limited in what it could do. I only used it for edge work. I use plywood on a lot of my larger projects, only using solid wood for banding or face frames. Doing so allowed me to use the planer for the entire surface prep of all my solid lumber needs. I hope to start doing some larger projects using all solid wood and the DJ-20 will allow me to do my surface prep work differently.

Anyhow, thats my story and I am sticking to it!

Frankie

Richard Wolf
07-11-2005, 8:57 PM
Welcome to the creek, nice upgrade on the tools.

Richard

Mark Singer
07-11-2005, 8:59 PM
Frankie,

Welcome.....Nice additions ! The DJ 20 is my joiter as well. You will lie the Creek...a lot of fishing.... fish storys and I often take them hook, line and ......Hard to talk with all that stuff in your mouth:confused:

John Miliunas
07-11-2005, 9:03 PM
Frankie, a big SMC welcome to you! I'd say you got off on the right foot 'round these parts! Shop pics with built-in gloats to boot. Well done!:) I'd say you did some very serious upgrading there and, being a DJ20 owner myself, I reckon you're having a blast with both new machines!:) You found a great place to hang with tons of info and some of the greatest and friendliest folks on the Web! Come often, stay long and don't be shy about posting projects, asking questions or giving guidance to those less skilled!:) :cool:

Dan Forman
07-11-2005, 9:24 PM
Frankie---Serious work in the upgrade dept! As long as you have the room, you might as well set up the old saw with a dado blade, since you won't be able to use the ruler on the Unisaw fence for dados due to the left tilting arbor.

Dan

Kelly C. Hanna
07-11-2005, 9:25 PM
A very nice set of upgrades indeed! Welcome to the Creek!!

Bob Noles
07-11-2005, 9:28 PM
Frankie,

Welcome to SMC and I most certainly will be looking for your posts in the future. WOW... what an introduction with shop pics and all. I wish everyone would come in like you have and I wish everyone could post more pictures. A lot of truth in the old saying.... One picture = 1000 words.

Great shop.... Great equipment..... Great contribution to the forum.

John A. Williams
07-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Welcome! I have that same Craftsman jointer you have or had, I sure wish I had that new dj-20 like you though. Is that a dewalt sliding table on your unisaw?

John

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Frankie....Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the water's fine!

Steve Stube
07-12-2005, 1:24 AM
Welcome! Nice shop space and well equipped.

I recently bought a Craftsman jointer Model 113.206931 that looks similar to the one you retired. Maybe you or John A. can help me with a copy of the manual if the model number is the same. It looks as though you have more motor on yours, mine is a 1/2 HP and sorely lacking.

Tyler Howell
07-12-2005, 8:31 AM
Now This is how it's done. An intro with pix and gloats.:cool:

Welcome to the creek Frankie. Great bunch of folks here.

lou sansone
07-12-2005, 8:43 AM
as others have said

welcome and thanks for getting right to the pictures
lou

Michael Gibbons
07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Welcome Frankie, Like Bob said a "picture =thousand words". See Frankie , We at the Creek need proof, pictures lots of pictures.

Frankie Hunt
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the very warm welcome. I must admit that I felt at home here quite some time ago even though I have not posted very much. I really like the calm, sweet spirit one feels in this forum.

I too really enjoy pictures. They really put a more personal touch to things. Pictures are almost like being there in person. I am not sure what I like more, seeing other's shops or seeing their projects! Both are great! Both push me to improve upon my work and my shop.

Dan, thanks for the tip on the dado blade. Thats a great idea.

John, yep that is the Dewalt sliding table. I really like it. It wasn’t too hard to install either. Just a few mods and it fit just like it belonged there. One thing I like about the Dewalt version over others it the fact that it takes up no additional floor space. It comes with a very nice miter guide too. It’s very similar to the Osborne guide.

Steve, I don’t have the manual for my old jointer. I bought the jointer used and it never came with a manual. About the only thing that would be difficult is the setting of the knives. Since the outfeed was non-adjustable, you set the knife height to the outfeed. Everything else about the jointer is pretty straitforward. To set them I used a strip of wood about 8 inches in length that had a very flat surface. The strip was about 3/4 " in width. I placed it on the outfeed side with the the tip just setting on one of the knives, near the end of the knife. I would rotate the cutter head by hand . When properly set the wood would lift just a hair and move about 1/8 of an inch down the bed. I would adjust the knife height until that amout of movement was achieved. The wood was moved back and forth between both ends of that knife, checking both ends. You then repeat for the other 2 knives. I did replace the motor with a new one. I got a 1 hp tefc motor from Grizzly. It worked very well and was a huge improvement. I also changed the pully size a tad to increase the cutter head speed. (Don't go overboard here as you can get into trouble!) All in all it was a nice machine. I just desired something bigger. I never missed an adjustable outfeed. I do adjust the infeed a lot, but never the outfeed side.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Frankie

Steve Stube
07-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks Frankie for the knife setting procedure you use. I will be on the lookout for a 1 HP motor and TEFC would be a plus. Thank you!