PDA

View Full Version : Playing Netflix videos on home computer.....

Chuck Wintle
10-04-2014, 9:16 AM
What I want to do is to play netflix videos on my home computer without using MS Silverlight. i don't like Silverlight and was wondering if anyone has another player that will work. Thx.

Moses Yoder
10-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Google VLC Media player. I think it will do what you want, I have it as my default video player.

Joe Kieve
10-04-2014, 1:24 PM
I wasn't sure what I used, so I went to my Netflix account and scrolled down to playback settings. I saw that I had checked "prefer HTML5 player instead of silverlight". Seems to work pretty good on my desk top pc.
Hope that helps.

Chuck Wintle
10-04-2014, 3:18 PM
I wasn't sure what I used, so I went to my Netflix account and scrolled down to playback settings. I saw that I had checked "prefer HTML5 player instead of silverlight". Seems to work pretty good on my desk top pc.
Hope that helps.
Thanks. I looked into my account settings and "prefer HTML 5" is checked but the prompt for Silverlight still appears. Which browser are you using to playback?

Grant Wilkinson
10-04-2014, 3:32 PM
Chuck: this is on the Netflix.ca site

"The Netflix.com HTML5 Player is supported on the latest version of Chrome on Mac and Internet Explorer 11+ on Windows 8.1 and later:"

So, it looks like it is really, really limited. Nothing for windows 7 at all - crazy. Like you, I will not install silverlight, so I'm SOL.

Eduard Nemirovsky
10-04-2014, 6:18 PM
Chuck, if I may ask - what problem did you have with Silverlight?
Ed.

Chuck Wintle
10-04-2014, 6:39 PM
Chuck, if I may ask - what problem did you have with Silverlight?
Ed.
Well I am leery of installing this software because its microsoft so i was hoping that some sort of workaround could be found. if VLC was compatible then I would use that. But in the end likely I will install silverlight as not other solution exists at the moment.

Joe Kieve
10-04-2014, 7:44 PM
Chuck...I'm using Firefox as my browser and Windows 7.

Chuck Wintle
10-04-2014, 8:03 PM
So Netflix works for your setup then?

Chuck Wintle
10-05-2014, 5:32 AM

Downloaded the Chrome browser and netflix now plays on my desktop. Not sure why FF would not work though.

Joe Kieve
10-05-2014, 7:47 AM
So Netflix works for your setup then?

So far...no problems.

Grant Wilkinson
10-05-2014, 9:13 AM
Keep in mind, Chuck, that netflix in the US is not the same as netflix in Canada. I've tried and called Netflix. They confirmed that FF and Windows 7 will not work to get around silverlight in Canada.

Keith Westfall
10-06-2014, 12:07 AM
I use either IE or Chrome here in BC. Log into the website, set up my account and no problems - on iPad, Windows 8, and now 8.1.

Not sure what the Silverlight thing is - but guess it hasn't been a problem...

Chuck Wintle
10-06-2014, 5:13 AM
Keep in mind, Chuck, that netflix in the US is not the same as netflix in Canada. I've tried and called Netflix. They confirmed that FF and Windows 7 will not work to get around silverlight in Canada.

But Google Chrome does work with Windows 7 and apparently 32 but FF works also after some research.

Grant Wilkinson
10-06-2014, 8:47 AM
How do you get FF to work, Chuck? I can't get it to work without Silverlight. I admit that I gave up without a big fight after Netflix Canada confirmed that it would not work. FF only comes in 32 bit so that's not the issue.

Chuck Wintle
10-06-2014, 9:44 AM
How do you get FF to work, Chuck? I can't get it to work without Silverlight. I admit that I gave up without a big fight after Netflix Canada confirmed that it would not work. FF only comes in 32 bit so that's not the issue.

Grant,

I got it to work with Google Chrome but not FF.

Grant Wilkinson
10-07-2014, 9:47 AM
Tks, Chuck. I misunderstood one of your previous posts.