PDA

View Full Version : What's a good way to test for run out on a Driss Press?

Chuck Hart
10-04-2014, 1:25 AM
I just got a new drill press and I want to make sure the run out is within good tolerances. What way do you test you equipment? I have a dial indicator and was wondering how far from the chuck should I measure? Some simple ideas about what should be used to measure. Thanks

Chuck

Richard McComas
10-04-2014, 4:29 AM
Youtube has videos on this.

Peter Kelly
10-04-2014, 10:23 AM
A blank drill rod and a dial indicator work pretty well.

pat warner
10-04-2014, 10:26 AM
A precision ground steel dowel spun in the chuck, against a dial indicator.
Whilst a reasonable measurement, it's not perfect.
But a t.i.r. (total indicated readout) of >.005" = adversity whilst doing close work.
Means almost nothing if your drilling for lag bolts.

David Kumm
10-04-2014, 10:35 AM
I'd also measure a drill bit and then measure the hole. My old Greenlee 356 looks like the bit wobbles but because the bearings are angular contact, they tighten right down as soon as the bit meets resistance. Dave

Jamie Buxton
10-04-2014, 10:46 AM
In my experience, the limit to the precision of a drill press is not run-out in the chuck, but rather slop in the quill. Run-out you see by rotating the chuck. Quill slop you can see without rotating the chuck; you just rattle the chuck side-to-side or front-to-back.

ray hampton
10-04-2014, 12:33 PM
if the runout exceed the limit then a hole that you drill may be oversize,other problems can also cause a oversize hole

glenn bradley
10-04-2014, 1:49 PM
As stated, most new DP's come with a rod that is used for setup. If not, grab a large drill (3/8" to 1/3" will do), chuck it up and do a visual. If you can see the runout, you probably want to address it. If you just want to know for the sake of conversation and comparison, a dial indicator with a stand will serve you well. I have used a $10 dial indicator from Harbor Freight to setup all my machines for years without issue. It is not super accurate but, I am not looking for an actual value. I am just looking for the delta between one measurement and another and it gives me that within reason (.001").

Myk Rian
10-04-2014, 5:11 PM
When I tossed a couple inkjet printers out, I took the 10mm rods out of them first. Those are nice and straight. Just cut off about 6" and use that.

Chuck Hart
10-04-2014, 5:43 PM
Thanks guys, it's pretty much what I thought. I wanted to see if anybody had a different way of doing checking it.

Earl McLain
10-05-2014, 6:55 AM
WOW--we just replaced an old HP inkjet, it's in a stack to take to recycling. I'd have never thought to cannibalize it!! And, if the rods are 10mm they're perfect for my Bosch router bases. Thanks!!
earl