PDA

View Full Version : CV 1800 finally installed

Bob Cooper
10-03-2014, 8:42 PM
Well i finally have a dust collector and after all these years it sure is nice. I've been pulling around a little delta 4" portable deal for years and upgraded to a 5HP ClearVue w/a 16" impeller. So far so good.

The dust collector sits beneath the shop (16x40) so the noise is not much of an issue. I have a switch up in the shop to turn on the dust collector. Right now i'm venting it outside but i have plans to install a diverter such that with the flip of a switch i can direct the exhaust either outside or inside via Wynn filters.

Here's what the basement looks like

the exhaust is 8" 30 gauge and the input is 6" 26 gauge. The exhaust exits out the wall -- which is directly under some outside stairs -- and then makes a 180 to follow the slope of the stairs.

I struggled for long time whether to do PVC or metal and finally decided on metal and glad i did. I was apprehensive on how easy/hard the metal would be to work with but it was quite easy and due to the nature of the way the ELL's can be manipulated it was easy to make the 90's gentle and to work my way through the floor joists. I've done a ton of PVC throughout my life so i was comfortable with that but when i compared the price of components it just seemed to me that the metal was a good bit cheaper.

For example i could pick up 26 guage Y's for $9 each and there was no need for couplers or 45's.

I'm sure if i did PVC i'd be happy too but if you'd like to try metal, go ahead. The only tool i had to buy was a crimping tool. I cut everything w/an angle grinder.

Bob Cooper
10-03-2014, 8:51 PM
Here's a few picture of the upstairs. So far there's 4 tools hooked up -- Woodmaster drum sander (a big ole 50" used tool i picked up <-- too big for the shop but i couldn't resist); a 3 phase jet 20" planer; a DJ-20; and a unisaw.

I didn't really have to do any cutting on the unisaw or DJ-20 but rather just used the openning as is and adapted accordingly.

Here's the DJ-20...pretty easy. Also i decided to use blast gates from Lee Valley. I really like 'em. One day i'd like to convert them to automatic blast gates similar to what Lee S has but right now i'm just glad to have dust collection.

Here's the table saw. I've order a shark guard so once that's in i'll run that 4" port on the side over up and over to pick up the dust at the blade. i'm planning on that being 4" snaplock as well for now.

Paul Stoops
10-03-2014, 8:52 PM
Congratulations, Bob! That should be a dandy system. You didn't mention it, but since your DC is not in the shop, I would highly recommend installing some sort of full bin sensor system. The dust bin you are using will fill in no time if you are planing. The Clearvue dust bin sensor system seems to be highly recommended. I have a much earlier version of that system that uses Genie garage door opener sensors and it works very well.

Bob Cooper
10-03-2014, 8:58 PM
and finally here's the planer and drum sander.

The one thing i need to fix is the the planer. Due to that Fernco fitting, the pipe sags just enough so that the wood can hit the bottom part of the blast gate -- just by about 1/4 of an inch -- as it exits the planer.

So as you can see this is a new shop and dust collection was the first item on the list. Next i need to build some cabinets, router table, etc. etc. etc. All at the same time as getting projects done that the wife keeps reminding me of. Up until this point i've been telling here "let get my dust collection done first and then i'll do that".

Bob Cooper
10-03-2014, 9:00 PM
Paul...yes. That too is way up on the list. I've actually already filled the bin and came down to see wood chips 6" up the bottom of the cyclone so clearly before i put filters in there i must have a bin sensor in place.

I'll either build my own, but one from the fella in NC that makes 'em or get one from somewhere like Clearevue.

Paul Wunder
10-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Bob,

That "fellow" in North Carolina that makes the bin sensors is the same fellow that makes them for ClearVue. (Rob Payne at McRabbet Wood Works.

I have both the CV1800 and Rob's bin sensor. Also, I have the 4" Sharkguard. I think you made good choices. I am very pleased with my setup.

Best of luck. I am sure that your lungs are already smiling.

Robert Payne
10-04-2014, 7:26 AM
Bob,

I'd be happy to provide you with more details about my bin sensor system -- PM me with your email address and I'll send you the information. I have sold more than 175 of them to safeguard both ClearVue and Oneida cyclones from the impact of bin overflow.

Phil Thien
10-04-2014, 9:51 AM
Nice job! Nuttin' better than a nice DC install!

Jim Andrew
10-05-2014, 9:31 AM
I have the Oneida dust sentry, and would recommend the system you are looking at over the dust sentry. I tried to rely on the dust sentry, and it would work about one time out of 4. Kept checking the system and finding the filter full of dust. Overfill of cyclone.