PDA

View Full Version : painting panel clamp jig

Alex Jacobson
10-03-2014, 5:54 PM
Hey, does anyone have a good way of clamping up painting panels? I need to make quite a few for a job and I don't want to put nails in the face, and am hoping that just some decent glue will hold it fine. I have a drymount press, but it's not quite big enough. I was thinking of something with toggle clamps that I could lock down for a couple minutes while the glue sets. I may have to just settle for a bunch of spring clamps. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about...

James Zhu
10-03-2014, 7:28 PM
Can you use picture frame clamp? Search 'picture frame clamp' on amazon.com, there are lots.

Jim Matthews
10-03-2014, 8:04 PM
Will they all be built with a plywood backing?

If they're all the same size, build a jig to hold things in place.
(The mitered sections would fit inside the jig.)

A couple spring clamps in the middle should do, to keep it tidy
while the glue dries.

Alex Jacobson
10-03-2014, 9:22 PM
I should have been more clear, I have plenty of equipment to put the poplar strainer together (picture frame v-nails), I'm thinking about/looking for ideas for a clamp jig for gluing on the plywood top, ideally one with high volume in mind.

Thanks,
Alex

william watts
10-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Cauls that run parallel to the frame on top of the plywood and directly above the frame. Then a few clamps would provide even pressure along the edge for a good glue joint. Should you want to make a jig perhaps something that would use the same principle but allow the use of wedges driven to hold things together.

Bradley Gray
10-04-2014, 4:33 AM
How about gluing a stack? A glue spreader also speeds things up.

Phil Thien
10-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Is there a way using some extra pieces of MDF (for example) that would could stack 10-12 of these and then stick a couple of cinder blocks on top to provide clamping pressure?

Edit: Woops, I see this has been suggested already.

Alex Jacobson
10-05-2014, 8:53 AM
How about gluing a stack? A glue spreader also speeds things up.

Yes, I like both of these ideas. Just have to figure out the optimal number before the glue starts setting. And need to get some good clamps. I just bought one of the rockler glue applicator kits, may as well try it out on this.