PDA

View Full Version : GPS Recommendations???

John Miliunas
07-11-2005, 6:52 PM
OK. I admit it: I'm directionally challenged! :D I'm pretty good with the "up" and "down", but the sideways stuff gets me confused, especially when I'm in unfamiliar territory. We'll soon be heading into unfamiliar territory to visit our daughter and brand new grand-daughter in FL and a GPS sure would come in handy! (My daughter knows where she is, but she's equally challenged in giving proper directions!:rolleyes: )

Anyhow, any recommendations for a decent GPS without going into hock up to my eyeballs for one? I kind of have my eye on the Garmin Quest, with the CD's for a bit under four bills. That would have to be about the most I would spend, preferably less! I do want something which zones in on city streets and such, as I realize most all of them will do a decent job with major highways/interstates. We'll be flying down and renting a car there. Appreciate any assist on this and thanks!:)

Pete Simmons
07-11-2005, 6:56 PM
If you feel you need GPS I know Hertz rents cars that have it for not to much extra. I would expect most rental car companies will also have it available.

Don Baer
07-11-2005, 7:02 PM
I kind of have my eye on the Garmin Quest, with the CD's for a bit under four bills. That would have to be about the most I would spend, preferably less! I do want something which zones in on city streets and such, as I realize most all of them will do a decent job with major highways/interstates. We'll be flying down and renting a car there. Appreciate any assist on this and thanks!:)

John;
2 years ago LOML got me the Garmin 2620 Street Pilot for my birthday, I have used it where ever I go. I know it's a bit more then the quest but it sure is nice. One of it's best features is the fact that the whole map database is onboard so you don't have to down load maps to it from a CD. The 2.6 gb hard drive stores it all and then some. I have used it in Alaska and Hawaii as well as all over the lower 48 states. When LOML and I take trip we use it to find hotels, resturants and I've used it to find ww stores also.

I used the Magellon in a rental car and there is no comparison.

John Miliunas
07-11-2005, 7:03 PM
If you feel you need GPS I know Hertz rents cars that have it for not to much extra. I would expect most rental car companies will also have it available.

Now there's another idea! I'll have to check. We're planning on doing a whole "vacation package" deal through Expedia or similar, so I'm not sure if they offer such options. I'll have to take a peek! Thanks Pete!:) :cool:

Don Baer
07-11-2005, 7:06 PM
John;
The rental agency I used who had the GPS installed was Hertz.

Michael Perata
07-11-2005, 7:09 PM
John, if you have a laptop, you get a basic GPS and map package for use on your laptop.

I think you can get MS Streets & Trips with a GPS unit for less than $130. I use MS Streets for my work and it is 99% accurate.

Steve Ash
07-11-2005, 10:28 PM
John,
I don't have one yet.... but we bought my son a Magellan Platinum for his Christmas present last year. He finds it very useful for plugging in our "secret" fishing spots. It appears to be very easy to use, even though he hasn't shown me how to use it yet!
With the discount he gets at Gander Mountain that we were able to use we spent $250.00 I think it was $400.00 before discount and included software.
Just something for you to think about, and when you get one I'll give you the way points so you can find your way over here!:D
Good luck!

Neil Clemmons
07-11-2005, 11:21 PM
John,

I have the Garmin Streetpilot C330 which I really like. All US maps on a hard drive in small unit. You might look at the C320 unit, which uses memory cards rather than a hard drive for a lower price, but with similar features and downloadable maps from the CD. Both units are really meant for in-car use and include autorouting plus voice driven directions. You can find pretty good deals on gps units at www.gpscity.com. Both of these units are over your price range, but you might check the site to see what kinds of deals they offer on various units including the quest unit, which is also a nice unit with similar features (autorouting). i looked at the quest and really liked it, but wanted a larger screen.

One of the best sites I've seen as far as reviews and recommendations on the various units and features is http://gpsinformation.net/

Good luck.

Neil

Jim Becker
07-12-2005, 9:28 AM
I have to say that if you don't feel a need for this capablity all the time, than renting a Hertz vehicle with "NeverLost" or a similar arrangement from another vendor is probably the most cost effective. It doesn't add a lot to the cost of the rental and you don't end up with a device that you'll use little. I feel the same way about the very expensive built-in navigation systems popular in cars these days...I'd rather have other luxuries for the same $1800... ;)

Donnie Raines
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
You are more then likely heading right past me! If you are coming via 75/74 south look me up. I am a very short distance from those freeways.(no lumber purchase needed) :D :D

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 12:42 PM
You are more then likely heading right past me! If you are coming via 75/74 south look me up. I am a very short distance from those freeways.(no lumber purchase needed) :D :D

Sounds great, Donnie! I'll ask the pilot if he can set the plane down in your driveway for a while! You got a station with "High-test" in the area, in case he wants to top off the tanks?:D :D (Yes, we're flying down.:) We do plan on driving around a bit once we're down there.) BUT, thanks for the offer anyway. If we were driving, you could expect me to come a knockin'!:) :cool:

Donnie Raines
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Sounds great, Donnie! I'll ask the pilot if he can set the plane down in your driveway for a while! You got a station with "High-test" in the area, in case he wants to top off the tanks?:D :D (Yes, we're flying down.:) We do plan on driving around a bit once we're down there.) BUT, thanks for the offer anyway. If we were driving, you could expect me to come a knockin'!:) :cool:

.....you could always parachute..... :cool: :D

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 12:54 PM
.....you could always parachute..... :cool: :D

'Ya see there...Then I'd really need a GPS, just so I could zone in on your house!:D :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
07-12-2005, 9:32 PM
Hey Spring, let me chime in here with my $1.398 worth of drivel.

Renting a car with the navagation system would seem to be the way to travel. I'd be surprised if the car rental company wouldn't upgrade you from the standard all inclusive tour package. Of course there's always map quest. :D

While you are flying, you could parachute out over Donnies and have another flight a couple of hours later drop the hook and snag you back up. :D :eek: This could work for all the other creekers along your flight path. It might take you a day or so to get to hurricane alley, 'er Florida, but just think of all the fun you'll have.

Karl

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 9:44 PM
While you are flying, you could parachute out over Donnies and have another flight a couple of hours later drop the hook and snag you back up. :D :eek: This could work for all the other creekers along your flight path. It might take you a day or so to get to hurricane alley, 'er Florida, but just think of all the fun you'll have.

Karl

Sheeeesh...With friends like you......!!!:rolleyes: :D

Besides, in Jill's never-ending quest to complicate such matters, it now seems that she'd prefer we stayed at my daughter's place and, very possibly use HER car! (No GPS in there, I assure you!) Not entirely sure if that's the way we'll go, nor even if I'll get a GPS at this time. Might save the $$ for the trip itself. Still, you have to remember who you're talking to here: The same bloke who was lost about a 1/2 mile from your place a couple weeks ago!:D :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
07-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Perhaps, if it keeps raining down there a rental car will be a moot point, my friend. As a backup might I suggest locating and reserving an air boat or similiar water craft [AHOY! MATEY!].

And watch them aggilators. :eek: :D I hear they like cheese, or things filled with cheese. ;) :D

Hey, you were pretty close. You just came a different way. You find your way home every night don't you. And like you live on a main drag!!!! :eek: :D

Karl

Charles McKinley
07-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi John,

Another website is www.gps4fun.com . It has a nice feature that allows you to compare the features of different units side by side.

Have fun on your trip.