PDA

View Full Version : Custom Hickory casket completed pic's

Robby Phelps
07-11-2005, 6:42 PM
Hi everyone. Thought I would post some photos of my latest project. It is a full size custom Hickory casket. The gentleman that ordered it is in his late 80's and is just getting things ready for when he does pass away. He has been a very fun client and I thourouly enjoyed working with him. It is dovetailed together (80 in all) with a poly/oil/wax finish. The top is veneered on an mdf substrate to minimize wood movement issues. If you look closely at the open photo you can see a silver dollar he had me inlay from the year he was born. He also had me use hemp rope for the handles. Lastly he had me line it in burlap:rolleyes: . Funny I Know. He wanted somthing very rustic yet nice. Let me know what you all think. Thanks for looking and also thanks for the great folks in this forum.

Robby Phelps
07-11-2005, 6:48 PM
here's a couple more pic's

Jim Dannels
07-11-2005, 7:03 PM
Seems like a tasteful and fitting means of carrying one into the hereafter.
The workmanship is very nice.

Tyler Howell
07-11-2005, 7:23 PM
Dude,
Your creeping me out:o , but them I'm a victim of American society.
That is well done and a tribute to the owner.
More people should give consideration to their next adventure.
I've been thinking about life and death a lot with the failing health of my mother.
Everyone needs the skills a fine WW.
Nice work

Phil Maddox
07-11-2005, 7:48 PM
Casket looks great!

Just wondering, are there any "standards" or guidelines for the size/materials/construction? Does it have to be watertight?

I actually thought of making caskets as a side line several years ago (Friends of the family own a chain of funeral parlors) but never pursued the idea.

Phil

Vaughn McMillan
07-11-2005, 7:49 PM
Nice work, Robby. I realize the customer ordered them, but the rope handles seem like they'll be very uncomfortable to hold when the casket is loaded. OTOH, it's clearly not the customer's problem, is it?

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
07-11-2005, 7:58 PM
Very nice work Robby, it is a beautiful piece.

Corey

Robby Phelps
07-11-2005, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Tyler...

I was pretty creeped out too when he contacted me. I wasn't really sure I wanted to job but he was wonderful to work with. I hope that I can be as ready to go as he is. He truly is at peace with himself and his life. Now that is an accomplishment.

Phil...

I too thought that there would be enormous amounts of regualations a laws but there actually isn't. I researched it extensivly and only found regulations stating that funeral home directors could not refuse or charge extra if someone provided there own casket. There are a lot of folks though that swear that the box has to be this or that but it just simply is not true. I figure my casket will outlast most of the ones you find at the funeral homes. They primarily use particle board and wrap them with aluminum, steal, or veneer. I have actually read some articles where people are suing these companies beacause there deceased loved ones fell through the bottom when the casket was being carried in the rain.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Vaughn...

I shared my concerns for using the rope handles but like you said it didn't affect him at all.:)

Allen Bookout
07-11-2005, 8:16 PM
Nice work, Robby. I realize the customer ordered them, but the rope handles seem like they'll be very uncomfortable to hold when the casket is loaded. OTOH, it's clearly not the customer's problem, is it?

- Vaughn

Vaughn, I have to say that is pretty funny in a morbid sort of way.

Robby, Great job! Also thanks for the post on the dovetails. I have been following that thread.

Allen

Mark Stutz
07-11-2005, 9:41 PM
Very interesting project! I can see that I'm not the only one who has been a pall bearer. I immediately thought about carrying by the rope handles. Hopefully it is lighter to begin with than the commercial ones.

Alan Turner
07-11-2005, 9:50 PM
Wow. From a law office reception desk to a casket. That wasn't a firm that concentrated on estate work, was it? Maybe I should market to the estate bar. Nice woek, and neat commission. You could even build your own, and then reduce your burial policy by about 3K or so. (:

Joe Mioux
07-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Casket looks great!

Just wondering, are there any "standards" or guidelines for the size/materials/construction? Does it have to be watertight?

I actually thought of making caskets as a side line several years ago (Friends of the family own a chain of funeral parlors) but never pursued the idea.

Phil

I see caskets all the time. No caskets don't have to be water tight or varmint proof. Better quality caskets use have rubber gaskets, etc. for water proofing.

Also, remember that a vault (which the casket is placed into) is traditionally used prior to burial.

Bob Noles
07-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Robby,

Nice workmanship and I enjoy the dovetail aspect. Looks like the Keller did you proud.

That is a rather odd project for someone to request and you did a really nice job for the client.

I apperciate you helpful imput on the other thread.

Hope to see more of your work in the future.

Mike Parzych
07-11-2005, 10:53 PM
It's nice to see that you didn't weed out the really interesting parts of hickory. I've seen hickory cabinets and woodwork that used only the tan portions of boards, and it look pretty dull.

Christopher Pine
07-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Doesn't botehr me a bit.. I have thought of making my own casket somday... But like so many of us I stay in the illusion that I have plenty of time to do it.. None of us know the hour of our departure...
I thought a nice pine casket would be fitting for me and I love the silver dallor idea!
I wondered what the bottom was made of and how you fastened that all together?

Chris

Pat Monahan
07-12-2005, 1:43 AM
Robby
A rather unusual project, but well done. I just gotta ask - where is this unique conversation piece being stored ? I can only imagine the one-liners and obligatory jokes if this gentleman left it in his living room...;)
Pat

Norman Hitt
07-12-2005, 3:32 AM

- Vaughn

Vaughn McMillan Nice work, Robby. I realize the customer ordered them, but the rope handles seem like they'll be very uncomfortable to hold when the casket is loaded. OTOH, it's clearly not the customer's problem, is it?

- Vaughn

I too, immediately thought about the rope handles, and was thinking it would be much easier to hold if the rope was cut in the middle of the loop and each end of the cut fastened to the end of about a 1" x 8" long Dowel to give easier "Grip", yet keep the overall look the same.

Nice job though, Robby.

Paul Canaris
07-12-2005, 7:21 AM
Nice work. I was thinking it will make a nice blanket chest until then..

Kelly C. Hanna
07-12-2005, 7:45 AM
I love Hickory....what a way to go! Good job on the casket!

Michael Gabbay
07-12-2005, 8:08 AM
Now that is something you do not make everyday. Very nice work and attention to all of the details.

When my Mom passed away she wanted a very simple pine box. Unfortunately her passing was rather sudden. While at the funeral I notice the workmanship on the casket. Afterwards I thought, I should have made that. It would have been the last thing I could have done for her and it would have been much nicer.

Aaron Montgomery
07-12-2005, 8:44 AM
Looks great - good job! Until he's ready to use it, it should make a great coffee table! ;)

Michael Gibbons
07-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Robby, What are the maximum dimensions a casket can be in order to fit into a vault?

Mike

Jack Wood
07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Robby I know you probably have this covered but have you actually tried to carry it with, mmm how do I put this, dead weight? Would be a real drag if one of the joints popped while the pall bearers were lifting it up:( Just a thought, and by the way it looks great!

Robby Phelps
07-12-2005, 2:06 PM
Thanks again everyone for the kind words. Just FYI I did use my Keller dovetail jig and it worked flawlessly. A really great tool.

Chris...

I used 3/4" maple apple ply for the bottom and dadoed it into the sides.

Pat...

He is going to be storing it in his home. Will use it as a blanket chest till it is needed.

Micheal...

As far as I can tell I am not aware of any requirments due to vault size. The client is a very small man so I was not concerned as the casket is relatively small too. If I were to do another and had a large and or tall client I would definetly research it more.

Jack...

I had a bunch of buddies come over and they carried me in it. I am 6'2" 275 pounds so it should be fine.

Martin Lutz
07-12-2005, 2:20 PM
I was honored to build my dad's when he passed. It is a truly humbling experience. I am sure you felt the same.

Beautiful work. Nice attention to detail.

Charles McKinley
07-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Hi Robby,

Very nice job on the casket.

Mother Earth News did an article on natural burrials and building your own casket. They have a forum on their website but no one has posted to it in some time.