PDA

View Full Version : Quick laser power question

Don Young
10-03-2014, 10:02 AM
I have been doing this wonderful laser thing for about five years now and have had very few problems...until now. I recently replaced my 60w laser tube and now it seems as though the power has been seriously reduced, meaning it often takes two or three passes to get the same results. I don't know if the tube is out of alignment or if the mirrors need to be replaced (I clean them regularly). I gave up on the red dot pointer as it never seemed to be aligned perfectly. Any suggestions and can I use regular 1 inch mirrors to replace the factory ones.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks

Guy Hilliard
10-03-2014, 2:32 PM
I think you answered your own question.

0, Clean "ALL" optics. Most lasers have 3 mirrors (Trotecs have 4) and a lens. Some also have a port (a flat optic where the beam enters the cabinet, ULS). There may also be a beam combiner where the laser beam and the red dot are joined.

1, Check that the lens is focused.

2, Check / do an alignment. The red dot should line up with the laser (if you align it and the laser correctly).

3, Clean "ALL" optics.

4, Check that the lens is focused.

5, Carefully inspect the optics. They should be perfectly clear with NO haze, and reflections off the surface should be perfect.
Replace as required.

6, Do an alignment.

7, Clean "ALL" optics.

8, Check that the lens is focused.

If you still have an issue you have either missed a step or you have a naf tube / power supply.

Ross Moshinsky
10-03-2014, 2:45 PM
If you replaced the tube, you need to check your alignment. My guess is that's your issue.

Martin Boekers
10-05-2014, 4:14 PM
If you can manually power the tube on, do that with a piece of masking tape where the beam enters the lens carriage. If it's not in the center
it's the alignment. If you cant do it manually send a job to the laser, with the tape in position. The red dot is pretty useless to me, so I do "burn" tests.
First few times it took quite a while now I can do alignment in about 15min. Make sure all 4 corners are aligned. Next is check to make sure the table is square
to the I-Beam, That can create some issues too....