PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Photo

Keith Burns
07-11-2005, 5:15 PM
I found this forum the other day and have been impressed with the quality of posts. It looks like you can have fun and be serious as well without a lot of junk. I am a turner as well as a woodworker. All for fun. Anyway I love to see other peoples work, it inspires me. I also like to recieve constructive criticism on my work. Thats how I learn. The attached is a combination open/closed segmented turning. It is constructed from White Oak and Walnut and has 458 pieces. It is 7" dia. x 8-1/2" tall.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/berniewood/11.jpg Thanks for any comments and for looking.

"I'm tired of being arm candy for my wife"

Ernie Nyvall
07-11-2005, 5:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek Keith.
That is a wonderful piece. You are very talented.
You are also very patient or completely looney by now. At least that is my perception of attempting something like that at my low level of turning. Did you study something to learn that technique?

Great job,

Ernie

Gary Max
07-11-2005, 6:04 PM
Show off---looks great
I ain't ever tried making anything like that---heck ain't sure I can count that high---LOL
Welcome to the creek

Jean Holland
07-11-2005, 6:26 PM
That's a right nice piece of work there. You must be a man with a lot of patience. It must have taken some forethought and planning to create such a well balanced finish.

Welcome to the creek.

(I like your member icon too)

Dawn Sunkle
07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to SMC :)

Dawn

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Keith....Welcome to the Creek! I'm not a turner and after seeing your photo of you work....I'm not sure I want to attempt to become one! Beautiful work!

Alan Turner
07-12-2005, 4:06 AM
Welcome to SMC, and Wow! I do not turn except out of necessity, but would love learn of the technique you used. Very impressive work.

Keith Burns
07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
I appreciate the kind words of all. I am basically a self taught turner but for the open segmented turnings I turned to the book by William Smith. It shows how to build the jigs required. Beleive it or not once you get the hang of it the assembly and turning goes pretty quick. The piece in the photo was completed in a weekend.

"I'm tired of being my wifes arm candy"

Mike Ramsey
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
After seeing your vase I don't think I will post any pics today ;) . Wonderful form and craftsmanship! That is what I eventually would like to accomplish...

Mark Singer
07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Just beautiful! and Welcome

Roger Fitzsimonds
07-12-2005, 1:49 PM
Welcome Keith,
What a spectacular piece that is. I am hoping to try segmented turning soon.

Roger

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 3:07 PM
Welcome to SMC, Keith! Great to see you've immediately satisfied our lust for pics, too!:D Very nice job on the vessel and, as someone else commented, I need to try me one 'o them some day! Come often, stay long and keep those pics coming!:cool:

Lou Morrissette
07-12-2005, 4:57 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Keith. I'm not a turner but that is beautiful. Keep em coming.

Lou

Steve Stube
07-12-2005, 5:53 PM
Welcome! Very nice piece or should I say pieces. BTW, you can bump that count up to 705 if you count the voids and you might as well cause it takes about the same amount of time to turn them as it does to turn the pieces separating them.

On a more serious note how did you finish this piece? What finish do you use?