PDA

View Full Version : Composite granite kitchen sink

Bob Vavricka
10-02-2014, 9:24 PM
Do you have a composite granite kitchen sink?
If so, how do you like it and would you buy it again.
I am getting ready to remodel my kitchen and considering installing one in the new kitchen. Thanks,

John Goodin
10-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Had a black one with small specks in it. Loved it. Always looked clean, easy to clean and easy on the dishes. I think our was made by Silgranite or something similar. Will put in another when we remodel the kitchen at our current house.

Garth Sheane
10-03-2014, 12:49 PM
We installed composite quartz in our kitchen two years ago. I don't think the discussion should centre around quartz vs granite, but around composite versus natural stone. I would never have natural stone in a kitchen due to the tiny fissures in the rock. Too many nasty little germ critters can grow in there unless you faithfully seal the surface repeatedly. Composite stone doesn't have cracks. It used to be that composite stone didn't have much in the way of desirable patterns, just sort of pebble looking. Now, there are some very interesting patterns that resemble natural rock. In the two years that we've had our composite quartz, I haven't seen a scratch ... very tough surface.

Ole Anderson
10-03-2014, 7:27 PM
20 years ago we redid our kitchen and installed a composite "stone" sink. I loved it. IIRC it was Silestone. We went with a lighter color, rose, and it did stain some, but just a bit of bleach based cleanser and an abrasive pad and it was good to go. Dark would have been a better choice. You can clean it just like stainless steel with an abrasive pad. Last year we remodeled the kitchen again and went with stainless steel this time.

Don Morris
10-04-2014, 3:18 AM
When we remodeled we went with granite. A slightly unique pattern and love it. The only reason we went that route was at the time, when we investigated, the dealers didn't recommend putting hot surfaces on the other types of surfaces. If when cooking you have to place a hot pan on the counter briefly, ask the dealer would that leave a burn mark and if so could that be removed. Wouldn't happen often, but if it did, you'd be disappointed. My wife loves to cook and sometimes has multiple hot pots on the range. She worried she would slip up and put a hot pan on the counter top even though she knows better.

John Goodin
10-04-2014, 9:44 PM
I looked up our old composite sink. It was made by blanco and the product line was silgranite. Looks like they run about 350 buck, similar to stainless.

Stan Calow
10-08-2014, 7:56 PM
Yes, black one from Lowes. No complaints. Looks good as new after three years.