PDA

View Full Version : wipe on poly - make my own

Dennis Yamamoto
10-02-2014, 11:51 AM
I have used Minwax wipe on poly and like it a lot. It looks nice and is foolproof!

I need to do a really big project, and buying Minwax by the pint is too expensive. Any suggestions on making the stuff myself? I found one thread that said 50/50 polyurethane and mineral spirits. Any other suggestions as to what combination works best.

Thanks!

Dennis Yamamoto
10-02-2014, 11:52 AM
wipe on poly!

Jim Rimmer
10-02-2014, 1:23 PM
The 50/50 ratio works fine.

Prashun Patel
10-02-2014, 1:46 PM
I also like Minwax for its ease of application; I agree that it's hard to mess up. However, you may find that it looks a little too yellow and a little plasticky on large expanses when built up. If you are willing to pay a little more, Arm R Seal from General Finishes is a nicer looking poly IMHO that's just as easy to apply. It has a richer amber cast that I just think looks a little more natural and warm than poly. But this is your call.

End of the day, it's still a polyurethane and I still think it looks plasticky when brushed on thick. But wiped on fairly thin, it's pretty.

Jamie Buxton
10-02-2014, 2:22 PM
I've seen quart cans of the Minwax Wipe-on at Orchard Hardware Supply. The price per oz is substantially lower than what Home Depot charges when they sell you a pint can.

John TenEyck
10-02-2014, 2:35 PM
Another vote for Arm-R-Seal. To my eyes it's very pale in color, easy to apply, and very beautiful on most woods.

John

Dennis Yamamoto
10-02-2014, 3:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion on Arm-R-Seal. I'm trying to find it in California and it's not available in gallons. I guess I have to buy quarts and pay a lot more!

John TenEyck
10-02-2014, 7:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion on Arm-R-Seal. I'm trying to find it in California and it's not available in gallons. I guess I have to buy quarts and pay a lot more!

Oh, California, sorry I didn't see that. Can you buy any solvent based varnish anymore in CA?

John

Howard Acheson
10-04-2014, 11:34 AM
As already said, the long-time traditional home brew is a 50/50 mixture of oil based varnish and mineral spirits. If using a non-gloss varnish, be sure you have thoroughly stirred the varnish before mixing it with the mineral spirits. Then be sure to thoroughly mix the varnish and mineral spirits together. During application, re-stir the varnish/mineral spirits periodically.

Bob Wingard
10-07-2014, 11:17 AM
The 50-50 ratio is pretty good, but I tend to thin even more for the first few coats ... the less viscous finish seems to carry the finish into open pores better, while displacing any air that might be trapped deep in the pores, eliminating air bubbles.

scott vroom
10-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Oh, California, sorry I didn't see that. Can you buy any solvent based varnish anymore in CA?

John

The (California) South Coast Air Quality Management Board has banned solvent based finishes as far as I know. I'm in Northern California and can still purchase solvents, albeit in maximum quart qty's.

Whether or not you agree with the So Cal regulations, there's no denying they have a severe air quality problem.