PDA

View Full Version : Another way to "cope" with crown molding

Kent Parker
07-11-2005, 4:28 PM
I have been replacing the plain molding around the doors and openings in our house with a more decorative crown molding. Very simple yet elegant upgrade for sure! :D
There are times when an innovative approach is needed as my background as a boatbuilder did not include the variables of joining this stuff. Tried using a coping saw and jig saw as per the many suggestions however all my cuts were totally out of control!

So, I envisioned cutting the "cope" on the band saw. With clamped on guides to the fence and table I made multiple cuts with the molding at the angle the molding would be after installation. Just took a wee bit of filing for the final fit.

I've also included photos of the molding over our main doorway and the custom deluxe fence I made for the chop saw to cut its miters.

Cheers,

KP

Kent Parker
07-11-2005, 4:36 PM
More photos. Sorry they are not in order

Scott Coffelt
07-11-2005, 4:40 PM
very nice, looks like tight joints.

Chris Padilla
07-11-2005, 5:51 PM
Looks good...take another pic in the wet season...we'll see how good you really did! ;)

I like how you carefully snuck up on the line with the control of the BS. A coping saw does take some time to learn but it isn't too bad.

Kent Parker
07-12-2005, 7:16 PM
Chris,

We don't have too much of a wet season here in Napa and I used nice stretchy paint ;)

Using the bandsaw to cut the profile is pretty easy, it just takes patience. You just move the fence over a blade cut at a time. The flat cuts were cut with a Japanese saw.

KP