PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a "hidden gloat"

David Duke
07-11-2005, 3:33 PM
Hi everyone, been lurking around here for a while and thought it was time that I introduced myself. My wife Brenda and I will celebrate our 29<SUP>th</SUP> anniversary the 30<SUP>th</SUP> of this month; we live in a Splendora, a small town about 35 miles north of Houston Intercontinental Airport. We have two boys Andy (25) and Kevin (21), the youngest and his wife ARE EXPECTING OUR FIRST GRANDBABY in March of 2006. My father started a weld shop when I was 15, building oilfield tools such as stabilizers and drill bits..... been eating fire every since but my passion is working wood. Through the years with the blessing of the LOML I have been able to put together a pretty well equipped shop although as we all know there is always that “just have to have” tool or piece of equipment that will make our work easier or better.

I like to build just about any type of furniture but clocks and small boxes fascinate me. I am in the planning stages of building a replica of a kitchen clock that my grandfather got in the early 1900’s. I will have to work on my carving technique since it has some detail work on it and I haven’t been able to find a chisel with a motor.:rolleyes:

I’m not a very prolific poster, I mostly like to see what everyone is up to and will put in my .02 on occasion. From my lurking I can tell that the atmosphere is relaxed and the people friendly……just my kind of place!!!! One question though, are the SMC caps still available?

PS: I know that on gloats without a picture it didn't happen but they wouldn't let me post the sonogram!!!!!;)

Norman Hitt
07-11-2005, 3:58 PM
[

PS: I know that on gloats without a picture it didn't happen but they wouldn't let me post the sonogram!!!!!;)

Welcome to the Creek, David. This place is just as you have discovered and Described it. Lots of friendly, helpful folks, and be sure to jump in anytime you can, 'cause besides Woodworking, sometimes there's a little help needed from a pro "Fire Eater". :)

Since they wouldn't let you post the Sonogram, how about a few pics of your shop instead. :D Everyone always likes to see other WW'ers shops and get different ideas from them. Again, welcome to "The Creek".

PS: My Paternal Grandmother was a "Duke".

Dan Forman
07-11-2005, 4:01 PM
David---Welcome to the creek, and congrats on the future grandchild. If my math is correct, I guess you just found out. We will be anxious to see any work you can show, and I guarantee you will learn a lot just by looking in.

Dan

John Miliunas
07-11-2005, 4:59 PM
Welcome to SMC, David! Super place to hang your hat and, if Jackie spots this thread, she may be able to tell you if that hat is available as an SMC cap!:) You're right...Gloats typically *need* to have pics attached! In this case, I'm with Norman, in that pics of the shop would be a good temporary substitute!:) Please, come often, stay long and be sure to share some of your knowledge with us!:) :cool:

Wes Newman
07-11-2005, 5:12 PM
David, Welcome to the Creek. Congratulations on the expected grandbaby!!! How about a few pics of the clocks and boxes you've made.;)

David Duke
07-11-2005, 5:39 PM
Dan your math is right we have just found out and as you probably know its too early for the sonogram I was just fooling around talking about posting the pic.

Thanks to everyone on the kind comments, I'm gonna try posting a few pictures of the shop so bear with me if it don't work.

David Duke
07-11-2005, 5:54 PM
Well the pic post is presenting a problem....file size is too big mine are all at about 150k and I need to figure out how to reduce the file size but don't really have time now because I have a meeting to attend tonight and need to get ready. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Thanks

John Miliunas
07-11-2005, 6:44 PM
Well the pic post is presenting a problem....file size is too big mine are all at about 150k and I need to figure out how to reduce the file size but don't really have time now because I have a meeting to attend tonight and need to get ready. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Thanks

David, when you have time, you may like to try this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...ppowertoys.mspx

It's a free :) download and easy to use to resize your pics. Looking forward to some pics!:):cool:

lou sansone
07-11-2005, 8:28 PM
welcome to the creek. looking forward to your .02 cents

lou

Mark Singer
07-11-2005, 8:39 PM
Welcome join the Creek.....a lot of great people here!

Corey Hallagan
07-11-2005, 8:55 PM
Welcome David to SMC. You already know this is a cool site! I too enjoy smaller projects like clocks and boxes. I look forward to photos of your shop and projects and by the way, congrats on the upcoming grandchild!

Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
07-11-2005, 9:28 PM
Stealth Gloat eh? :D Welcome to a great group of people!

Bob Noles
07-11-2005, 9:31 PM
David,

Welcome to SCM. Nice into and story. A big warm welcome and we look forward to seeing you around.

BTW.... Happy upcoming annivesary ;)

John Hart
07-11-2005, 9:34 PM
Welcome David...Congratulations on the up and coming birth and also on what sounds like a wonderful life.

Alan Turner
07-11-2005, 9:40 PM
Welcome. My first GC is 2, and we love to spoil him and then leave. It is called grandparental rights.

Joe Mioux
07-11-2005, 9:54 PM
Welcome David! You won't find a better place to visit than SMC. Congratulations on your upcoming grandchild.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Welcome to the Creek David! Wade right in .....the water's fine! Congrats on the upcoming GC! Enjoy them while you can! They grow up too fast.

Keith Foster
07-12-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm too new myself to serve on the official welcoming committe, but welcome anyway! My "first" grandchild will be one month old in about 16 minutes. She was born on June 12th.

David Duke
07-12-2005, 4:55 PM
Wow, you guys sure know how make someone feel welcome!! Since I have a little time now maybe I can figure out how to post some pics.

Thanks again

Jay Kilpatrick
07-12-2005, 5:25 PM
Call it "Low Observable" :D Welcome... I've just recently found my way back and stop in regulary, hope you do too! With all this talk, I'm kinda excited about being a "Pappaw" myself... but it may be another 20+ years (I hope!) as my son is 4 years and daughter is 7 months. On second thought, you be the Grandpa, I'll concentrate on being a Daddy!

Pete Harbin
07-12-2005, 8:58 PM
Welcome aboard David! Start putting the "Grandchild Project List" together, because you know they're going to ask! Hey, grandchildren provide a whole other generation's worth of excuses to buy tools! :eek:

Pete