PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - Now have more time to browse the forum

Bernie Fraser
10-01-2014, 7:31 AM
I have been browsing this forum for a while now and the information is a great help to me . My name is Bernie Fraser and today is the first day that I change direction in life as yesterday was my last day of work after being made redundant . My job was a helicopter mechanic on Blackhawk helicopters which I had worked on for over twenty years . The Australian government have phased out the Blackhawk with the introduction of the new MRH90 , the new helicopter is a composite airframe with fly by wire controls which means there are many more mechanics in my shoes as we are no longer needed and there will be 70 workers laid off . The newer machines we are told need far less maintenance . I could see ten years ago that I would not be able to keep working on these machines and tried to start some side business from home . I had been screen printing T-Shirts for the military guys in this town for a few years but they have recently enforced a no screen printed T-Shirt rule so that has come to a grinding halt . I thought I could sandblast Beer Steins and offer those to the military but I really needed better equipment . This process was time consuming and I researched into Laser Engravers and came across the Rajet 30 . That has come to me purchasing a second hand Machine with the Atmos extraction system . Love this piece of kit , been doing testing on granite tiles , Stainless steel with the cermark and am really pleased with the results . So now I have more time on my hands I will frequent this forum a lot more . Have a small accu cutter guillotine on order and I know this Laser is the best piece of equipment I have ever owned . This is the second time I have been made redundant and it will be a lot easier this time at least as I have this piece of machinery to keep me occupied through the day .

Bernie

Jason Roehl
10-01-2014, 7:51 AM
Welcome to SMC, Bernie!

I'm sorry about the turn of events in your life, but I hope you're even more successful in your new endeavors!

Mike Null
10-01-2014, 8:17 AM
Bernie

Glad to have you join us. Best of luck!

Tim Bateson
10-01-2014, 8:55 AM
Bernie, Welcome.

I too do this due to the fragile economies. After being "downsized" 3 times in 4 years, I knew I needed something to fall back on. I'm in a some-what stable day-job now, but if I get "downsized" again, I won't go back. The pay doing this isn't as good as the day-job, but I'm only a few years away from retirement & will be doing this full-time anyway.

This is a great bunch of laser heads here, willing to help you along. We are always willing to give our opinions good & bad.

Keith Outten
10-01-2014, 9:18 AM
Welcome Bernie,

When one door closes another opens. Being self employed can be an incredible adventure, good luck!!!

Pete James
10-01-2014, 9:22 AM
I realize this thread was not meant to be funny, but I just can't the pictures out of my mind of Bernie ambling along with 3 or 4 arms and legs or Tim trying to climb up on his chair after having undergone 3 downsizings. Ain't the English language grand?:)

Paul Phillips
10-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Welcome Bernie, continue to browse this forum for a million ideas of what can be done with a laser and good luck on your new journey!

Martin Boekers
10-01-2014, 1:06 PM
Welcome to the Creek! Tons of good folks here willing to share! Are you on or located near a military installation? If so
there is work to be had, even as basic as nametags... I work on a military installation myself. It keeps me really, really busy.....

Bernie Fraser
10-01-2014, 2:38 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome guys . I do see it as an opportunity . We were lucky in that we could see this day coming years ago . I am lucky to have found a second hand Rayjet from the state distributor and to have found this forum . It may be the change that I always needed . Thanks for the offer of support in my new venture . Yes Martin I live in a Town where there are Army and Airforce units . I agree with you Tim when I was last made redundant ten years ago it gives you incentive to try and find something that you can be in control of .