PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed table height??

Dan McLaughlin
05-26-2003, 9:46 AM
For those who have an outfeed table - is it flush with the table saw height or is it slightly lower (and if so by how much?)?. I'm in the process of building one and the original design calls for a table about 3/8" lower than my table saw. The modifications to change the height are not very difficult to make at this point but I'm not certain what what the ideal height would be or if there is even such a thing. Thanks

Dennis McDonaugh
05-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Dan, I have mine just "slightly" lower. not quite a 1/16". My outfeed table is pretty close to the back edge of the table top and I put a bevel on it so it doesn't catch. I also put adjustable feet on it so I can change it if I need to.

John M. Cioffi
05-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Dan,

My preference is to have it flush,for a smooth transition from one table to the other.Having the outfeed lower,would cause long or heavy boards to dip,causing the end of the cut to raize up at the sawblade;resulting in a possible kick-back situation.
I would say the 1/16" Dennis uses,would be a maximum.

Always think/work - SAFELY!

John

Dan McLaughlin
05-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Dennis. The bevel idea is something I hadn't thought of.. I planned to actuallly butt the outfeed table to the TS table, possibly even attaching it to the back support rail of the Bies fence. This is going to be a modified American Woodworker Oct 2001 worbench that is going to be big enough to be a workbench/outfeed table/assembly table and solve a number of issues for me. I'll post pics either along the way or after it is completed.

John - those were my thoughts also but being a newbie at this, I thought I get a consensus of the forum.

Jim Becker
05-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Flush or no more than 1/16" (the thickness of a piece of laminate) below the table saw table height is my preference. Mine happens to be 1/16" below, but if I were doing it again, it would be flush.

Dan McLaughlin
05-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Jim- I was going to top it off with 1/4" hardboard. Since it was going to be a multi-function table, I thought the top might need to be replaced every couple of years and hardboard was easier than laminate. Your thoughts?

Jim Becker
05-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Dan McLaughlin
Jim- I was going to top it off with 1/4" hardboard. Since it was going to be a multi-function table, I thought the top might need to be replaced every couple of years and hardboard was easier than laminate. Your thoughts?

Not a problem as far as I can see. You'll need to be sure that your edge banding is absolutely flush with the 1/4" hardboard (and hope what you buy in the future is the same thickness!). You may want to put a very slight chamfer/bevel on the edge of the edge banding to insure there are no catches.

I do use my outfeed table for "utility space", but it's typically for some finishing work, glue-ups, layout or other non-cutting activities. The laminate is easy to clean of foreign materials as they can't soak in.

Dan McLaughlin
05-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Jim

How long has your laminate been on the table?

Jim Becker
05-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Dan McLaughlin
How long has your laminate been on the table?

About a year.

Von Bickley
05-26-2003, 12:39 PM
Dan,
My outfeed table was one of the best shop improvement features that I added to my shop. My table is 4 ft. wide and 6 ft. long. I have an electrical outlet on each side and the table also serves as an assembly table.
The legs on my table are 4X4 PT lumber, the frame is 2X6 spruce, and the top is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. The top layer is 3/4" oak plywood that I had laying around. It has multiple coats of high gloss poly on it. When it gets roughed up, I smooth it out and put on another coat of poly. I wanted this table to be heavy enough that it would not move easily when lumber was sliding over it.
I have also added a shelf under the table where I keep a lot of my clamps. My table is slightly lower than the table saw.

Dan McLaughlin
05-26-2003, 2:20 PM
This one will be a minimum of 6' x 6', possibly 6' x 8' (I'm still looking at the garage... ah... shop and trying to figure that out) with some storage shelves on either side and some "hideaway" storage in the middle. The high gloss poly looks interesting. I may give that a try. Thanks