PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw Scam

Ian Wilson (AUST)
09-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Hi Creekers,

Can some one please provide me with an email address for Corel Draw USA who may be able to help me as I received a message when opening x6, ( bought from ebay, new with serial numbers etc etc and its been working well for many many months), saying my software in a pirate and I risk loosing all saved data and access to files.........upgrade to x7 ( they had a leasing option that I took).

I then saw my x6 was registered with Corel and possibly not pirated. Ive tried phoning Corel Australia, no answer just put on hold and recorded message. I emailed Corel USA and received an automatic reply saying Corel and received my email and will reply.............that was 10 days ago!!!!!!

BTW My new x7 is working fine, so is my old X6....did I need to upgrade??? I just need to correspond with someone from Corel as there Aust office don't want to answer the phone!

Regards,

Ian

AL Ursich
09-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Not sure about contact info for Corel but I would backup all your data first...

This is the first I have seen with this warning but the topic of eBay and corel scams have been seen a few times.

Good Luck,

AL

Tim Bateson
09-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Could start here: http://www.coreldraw.com/us/

Mark Ross
10-14-2014, 7:08 PM
Ian,

You valid copy of Corel may have been pirated and they found your key. We had the same problem at work. Corel likes to talk to the outside world, so if you put a blocking software in place, uninstall and re-install and watch the blocking software, you can turn off the ports and/or exe's that corel uses to talk to the outside world. It is just Corel throwing an over reaching net as they are trying to get people to upgrade to the pay every month/year or else thing. That is why at work we won't upgrade office suites anymore. If you know legally you have done nothing wrong, installing the blocker and uninstalling and reinstalling the software is not any violation of the TOS for 6.0 according to our company's attorney. 6.1 and after may be a different thing. If you can run a different software that has a lower level of "douchery" I would recommend it. If Epilog comes out with a .dxf to Epilog direct piece of software we will be all on it.

I do not, never did, and never will support piracy, but this whole cloud, pay and play as you go thing is stupid. They are graduating to many MBA's that have been educated beyond their ability IMHO.

Bill Cunningham
10-29-2014, 10:26 PM
If at all possible, run Corel off line. Sometimes my x4 will take several seconds to load a file because it's sending something or waiting for something. I just unplug my wireless adapter, and it stops what its sending/receiving, and loads the file. Doesn't stall every time just every so often. If you run it on a offline computer, you should never get anymore 'beg' notices, or loading delays