PDA

View Full Version : Burning in dyes?

Dave Cullen
09-30-2014, 4:28 PM
I have one of Cindy Drozda's DVDs in which she describes making her Finial Star lidded bowl. In the video she uses dyes to add color then spritzes the bowl with a few squirts of DNA and lights it on fire. She never really discusses the reasons for doing that, and I'm curious as to what purpose that serves. Has anybody here done this?

Obviously you'd need to vacuum first...

Jon McElwain
09-30-2014, 4:41 PM
I have not seen the video, but my guess is that it accelerates the drying process. Jimmy Clewes uses a similar technique on thin pieces to finish drawing the moisture out of the wood.

Marvin Hasenak
09-30-2014, 5:14 PM
Look at some of the pipemakers videos, some have been using the burn technique for years. Some of the pipemakers have mastered the techniques of dyeing wood, the woodturning community is just discovering it.

Steve Mellott
09-30-2014, 7:25 PM
Jimmy Clewes uses this process with alcohol based dyes to accelerate the drying process.

Lloyd Butler
09-30-2014, 8:43 PM
The initial spray will help blend the colours better, and then the flame dries them. It you just apply a stain over another, you may see a hard line at the edges. Spray it with the solvent (alcohol or water) and that edge will start to blend together. Then you want to try and stop the bleeding, so with the alcohol you can burn off the excess.

Harvey M. Taylor
10-02-2014, 10:29 AM
another reason:It raises the grain so it will stand out from the softer grain and show thru after sanding. That is what I was told. Max