PDA

View Full Version : Possibly most valuable log we've ever sawn!

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 2:35 PM
This is quite possibly the most valuable log we've ever sawn though we're not exactly sure what it is. Any guesses?

http://www.scottbanbury.com/wolfgum01big.jpg

Richard Gillespie
07-11-2005, 2:39 PM
Recovered from underwater in a pre-historic bog? :confused:

Chris Padilla
07-11-2005, 2:49 PM
Has it been carbon-dated? ;) No clue what it is.

Mike Monroe
07-11-2005, 3:06 PM
black walnut

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 3:12 PM
Mr. Gillespie, you are very, very warm :)

Chris, this particular one hasn't ($1,100 to test) but others in the same strata have.

Mike, definitely not Walnut but it grows in the same forest type--Delta bottomland.

Lee DeRaud
07-11-2005, 3:53 PM
Mr. Gillespie, you are very, very warm :)

Chris, this particular one hasn't ($1,100 to test) but others in the same strata have.

Mike, definitely not Walnut but it grows in the same forest type--Delta bottomland.Just a guess: mangrove?

Mike Parzych
07-11-2005, 4:18 PM
I'd say it's the rare Lumpy Wood.

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 4:27 PM
A better pic of the figure (I thought I had linked another pic in the original post ?) . . .

http://www.scottbanbury.com/wolfgum03big.jpg

Donnie Raines
07-11-2005, 4:41 PM
Lignume Vitae

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 4:48 PM
Lignume Vitae

Thanks for trying, Donnie, but definitely not. It didn't occur in the forest this tree grew in ;)

We will be sawing a 24" diameter 4' long Lignum Vitae log later this month though :cool:

Donnie Raines
07-11-2005, 4:56 PM
Teak....olive wood......I give up..... :rolleyes:

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 5:05 PM
Teak....olive wood......I give up..... :rolleyes:

Donnie! Don't be a quitter :(

Hint, it grew in a 100% native forest in the Mississippi Alluvial Bottomland ;)

Jim Dannels
07-11-2005, 5:12 PM
I have to guess, based on color, that it is common but have never seen logs that large in my lifetime.

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 5:34 PM
I have to guess, based on color, that it is common but have never seen logs that large in my lifetime.

Both of those would occur in the forest it came from.

As for color, we're not sure that it's showing the same colors that it would if freshly felled as it may have absorbed some minerals/metals since it did fall down at the hands of nature.

Steve Clardy
07-11-2005, 5:36 PM
Butternut.

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 5:44 PM
Butternut.

Y'know, I hadn't thought of that--I'll have to check the texts and see if that would have been occuring in this area then.

Butternut's gotten pretty high lately.

I wonder what 10,000 year-old #1 Common would sell for :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
07-11-2005, 5:47 PM
Scott,

I don't think necessarily that the age of the log would make it more valuable. #1 C is #1 C whether 10,000 BC or 2004 AD. :) Still, it is a heckuva provenance and that could make it valuable, too! :)

Martin Lutz
07-11-2005, 5:49 PM
China berry or hack berry. I have some china berry with similar figure. I also have some "mystery wood" with like colors that came from the bottom of a pond in e. Texas. I think it is willow but the colors are amazing. I think due to the minerals in the pond. Your log looks to be about 12 to 14" dia. Correct?

Lee DeRaud
07-11-2005, 5:51 PM
I'd say it's the rare Lumpy Wood."Rare"?!? Not around here....:cool:

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 6:01 PM
Scott,

I don't think necessarily that the age of the log would make it more valuable. #1 C is #1 C whether 10,000 BC or 2004 AD. :) Still, it is a heckuva provenance and that could make it valuable, too! :)

Provenance is what I'm thinking too, Chris ;)

I don't think anything short of a medical emergency (knock on 10,000 year-old wood) could make me sell it . . .

Until I make something outta it, that is :D

Scott Banbury
07-11-2005, 6:12 PM
China berry or hack berry. I have some china berry with similar figure. I also have some "mystery wood" with like colors that came from the bottom of a pond in e. Texas. I think it is willow but the colors are amazing. I think due to the minerals in the pond. Your log looks to be about 12 to 14" dia. Correct?

Martin,

This log was only abot 10" in diameter. While I'm fairly certain it's Black Gum (Tupelo), I hadn't thought of Hackberry, which would occur in the forest it came from. I don't think so though, since it's not ring-porous.

It's theorized that the forest this log came from was knocked down by a large seismic event approx. 10,000 years ago which resulted in widespread liquefaction and the overbanking of the Mississippi, possibly accompanied by one or more reversals in the river's flow. The alluvial deposition from the event buried the knocked-down forest very rapidly resulting in its preservation in anaerobic conditions.

We're going back to pick up several MUCH larger logs that we were able to convince them to set aside. :D

Sadly, they had already fired up burn pits before we were aware of the find and we weren't able to save it all :(