PDA

View Full Version : Turning Class

Keith Hooks
07-11-2005, 2:16 PM
I had my first significant exposure to the lathe this weekend in a class at the local Woodcraft. I'm a novice woodworker, but my experience with wood turning to date has been zero. The practice has always intriqued me so I finally took an opportunity to try it myself.

I loved it!

It looks easy... but that was before I made my first cut. We started out roughing some green crapwood with the gouge, then spent time working with the skew chisel. The "peeling cut" gave me some trouble, but I was cutting beads and coves by the end of class. It's a very satisfying experience.

I'm impressed with the amount of skill and finesse that it requires. My respect for all you turners has soared! If feels like I could do this forever without perfecting the technique. It seems really challenging, yet rewarding. I now have a new appreciation for turnings!

Ernie Nyvall
07-11-2005, 5:40 PM
Welcome to the turner's forum Keith. I started turning in January and it is addictive. There are a great bunch of people on here with lots of help.
Have you been shopping for a lathe yet? :)

Ernie

Jean Holland
07-11-2005, 6:35 PM
Welcome to the turning forum. Yes, I've been an addict for almost two years now. Yes, you can turn a lot and still have room to learn and improve. It is ever evolving and changing....you imagination knows no limits.

Now, once you get your lathe all set up, if you don't turn on a regular basis, you will go through withdraw....and it's not pretty. Fortunately, this vise will keep us out of trouble and if you really work at it, you can make some money to help support your habit.

Keith Hooks
07-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I think a lathe will be my next major purchase after I upgrade the bandsaw. I'm really looking forward to it.

Keith Burns
07-12-2005, 1:42 PM
I'm new to this forum as well but wanted to welcome you, too. Yes turning is addictive for sure. You'll start out with simple stuff which will lead you on a long and rewarding journey. It's kind of like golf, always shooting for a hole in one. A never ending quest. Wish you all the best and be sure to share photos!

"I'm tired of being arm candy for my wife"