PDA

View Full Version : Tool Chest #2: Final tray is done

steven c newman
09-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Finally! And the lid will even close all the way, too!:D
Remember, this started out as just a pile of old bed parts. But wait, open the lid to reveal
Saw stowage in the lid:D like those old chest used to use. You can see a few trays sticking up
the right side has a Tote. In front of the tote, there is a rack for a few long chisels. There is also a gap in front of that rack, as a rack of bits for the braces sits down below.

Left hand now holds a pair of sliders
The top tray was just made tonight, sized to hold the Wards #78, and a few extras. Below the top tray
another one sized to hold a couple small planes. There is a hook in the front wall of the chest
that holds three coping saws up out of the way, so I can get to the four braces down below. Also down in the celler of the chest, is enough stowage for a few handplanes. There is currently a DE6c sitting down there. :D

Well, that was the tour of the Tool Chest #2 Finale. I think it might be done, now.....

Jim Koepke
09-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Looks great.

My back would be sore after picking tools out of one of those all day.

jtk

Stew Hagerty
10-01-2014, 1:04 PM

the right side has a Tote. In front of the tote, there is a rack for a few long chisels. There is also a gap in front of that rack, as a rack of bits for the braces sits down below.

Is it just me? It looks like the tote & chisels are on the left side...

steven c newman
10-01-2014, 1:54 PM
Sorry about that. Late in the day thing, Left AND Right were mixed up.

BTW: That red and white box? Inside is a MINTY Millers Falls #1455 Low Angle Block Plane.

Great, NOW I need to return to the Tool Chest #1, and revise a few things on it, or rather....IN it.

ALL the lumber in Tool Chest #2 is from Salvaged Wood. None was store bought. I did have to buy the hinges. Screws were in a box I salvaged from an old house. Oh, I did have to buy a small can of varnish, to mix into the tub of BLO I also bought.

Maybe one of these days, I MIGHT draw up a set of plans for this chest. Think anyone would want a set?

Jim Koepke
10-01-2014, 6:17 PM
Maybe one of these days, I MIGHT draw up a set of plans for this chest. Think anyone would want a set?

My comments only apply to me. My projects seldom use plans. My guess is if you are thinking of drawing up plans after the fact you are likely somewhat the same.

My plans are usually just notes on a piece of paper, a template or two and maybe a story stick. Sometimes a corner will be sketched out to determine what kind of joinery will be used.

That said there are folks who want a full set of plans before cutting the first piece.

At one time a project of mine was drawn up on my computer and a spread sheet was designed to allow changing sizes. Now the program used to do this is no longer supported and the document is useless.

My wife goes crazy trying to figure out how it is possible to work without plans. So all my templates and the story stick for a particular recurring project were laid out and I said, "there are my plans." She kind of understood after that. Not sure if she gets how it all goes together.

Having been a drafter at one time and seeing the different ways of depicting plans, schematics and diagrams it is difficult to see there being a problem with what works.

Maybe you could draw up the story stick markings and a working drawing for those who are interested.

jtk