PDA

View Full Version : Resource for mdf-backed coasters

Mary Geitz
09-29-2014, 2:01 PM
I have done pretty well with the mdf-backed cork coasters from the Walton Company. They are no longer selling the blanks, and I have been searching frantically for something similar. My searches turn up sublimatable coasters with a cork back, but those are far too thin. I don't have sublimation equipment.

The Walton Company coasters have a 1/8" hardboard back with a 1/8" cork top. I have enough for one more order of the round coasters.

I don' have any woodworking equipment either, so I am stuck with trying to buy something similar. I've had so many compliments from the people who have bought them from me about the hardboard back, so I'm trying to stick with that.

Any suggestions? I would be willing to import if the price is right. The Chinese resources sell the sublimatable coasters, not what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much!

Kevin Gregerson
09-29-2014, 2:07 PM
I have done pretty well with the mdf-backed cork coasters from the Walton Company. They are no longer selling the blanks, and I have been searching frantically for something similar. My searches turn up sublimatable coasters with a cork back, but those are far too thin. I don't have sublimation equipment.

The Walton Company coasters have a 1/8" hardboard back with a 1/8" cork top. I have enough for one more order of the round coasters.

I don' have any woodworking equipment either, so I am stuck with trying to buy something similar. I've had so many compliments from the people who have bought them from me about the hardboard back, so I'm trying to stick with that.

Any suggestions? I would be willing to import if the price is right. The Chinese resources sell the sublimatable coasters, not what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much!

Try making your own. 45 watts should be able to cut a bit. Get some 3M double stick bond separately from Cork, and a thin MDF from your local lumberyard.

Mayo Pardo
09-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Mary I sent you a message

Ross Moshinsky
09-30-2014, 10:02 AM
I would buy sheets of cork and laminate it to black acrylic. Your cost will be a bit higher but the product will be superior. MDF is a less than ideal material for a coaster.

Mary Geitz
09-30-2014, 1:30 PM
I'm going to make my first attempt in adding picture of the coaster.297595

and another one: 297596

Well, I tried.:) This so you get a good idea of how this was made. The side view shows how the front is mounted to the back and the back, obviously is the mdf. The cork is not sealed in any way. So Ross, I'm not sure how I would laminate the cork to acrylic. Can you explain how I would do that?

Thanks so much!

Ross Moshinsky
09-30-2014, 1:52 PM
Buy 1/8" cork sheet. Buy black acrylic sheet. Spray both materials with spray adhesive. Laminate the two pieces together. Cut out shape. Now if this doesn't work because the materials are too dissimilar, I'd cut out the shapes individually and use spray adhesive to laminate the two materials. If that doesn't work, I'd use 3M thin double sided tape to laminate the two materials. One of those 3 options should work. I also believe there are suppliers of cork sheet that come with adhesive already applied.