PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this lathe?

Jeff Horton
07-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Just curious if anyone has ever seen one of these? It is a J-Line Bowl lathe. It was made by Brodhead Garret. I was fortunate enough to get the manual with the lathe.

http://www.kudzupatch.com/temp/bowl_lathe2.jpg
I have searched the web and I can not find a single reference to it except now what I have posted. I assume it never caught on and therefore there weren't many sold?

It has a 16" swing and came with 3 large face plates. It's a standard threaded spindle so I have a chuck that will work on it.

I just got it a few weeks ago and I have almost finished the stand for it. I have a DC motor and Speed control on it's way. So, maybe in the next couple of weeks I will be able to fire it up and see how it turns. Just thought I would come out from lurking and see if anyone here might know something about it.

Gary Max
07-11-2005, 6:00 PM
Saw one on ebay not to long ago----looked real nice. If you go with a DC motor I think you are going to have a good lathe.
Now you need a heavy table to mount it on.
Oh ---before I forget---welcome to the best dang woodworking site on the internet.

Jeff Horton
07-11-2005, 7:02 PM
Here is a photo of the stand I am working on. There are two hollow legs(?) on either side of the shelves that I will fill with sand. If I figured it right I can add about 200# of sand to the stand. The stand is made of MDF. I am guessing it weights close to 75#.

Once everything is together it should tip the scales at 300+ pounds. I think with some common sense that should be adequate. If not I can add more sand bags on the lower shelf too.

Gary Max
07-11-2005, 7:10 PM
That looks like a great stand to me. I like them nice and solid.

Don Baer
07-11-2005, 7:15 PM
I would install some sort of a threaded plugs at the bottom of the hollow sides in case you might want to move it some time and want to drain the sand.

John Hart
07-11-2005, 9:15 PM
That's pretty cool Jeff! Nice and compact and raring to go. Looks and sounds like you're set. Welcome to the Creek by the way. Great place to hang out.:)

Ken Salisbury
07-12-2005, 4:23 AM
In order to be a bona fide member of Saw Mill Creek the Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) requires you to use a real first and last name. Please send Jackie Outten a Private Message (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Jeff Horton
07-13-2005, 3:47 PM
I received the DC motor I ordered yesterday for the lathe. I sat it in place and man was it heavy!! longer than I expected too. Then I got concerned, looks like it was going to limit my swing!!

I grabbed the framing square and I was right. It was limiting my swing to about 12 1/2". Man was I bummed. Then I noticed something. I was reading the wrong side of the square. :o I still had my full 16" swing with the motor in place! Duhh

Charles McKinley
07-14-2005, 1:38 AM
Welcome Jeff,

Can the motor be mounted to the back side of the lathe getting it completely out of your way?

It looks like a very interesting set up. I hope it works well for you.

Jeff Horton
07-14-2005, 4:44 PM
I probably made my table to small for that but yes it could. With a reversible motor and mine is. Actually now that I think of it I could just turn the lathe 90 degrees and set it on the end of the table.

But if I put the motor on the back I can't use the belt guard that came with it. I worked in factories and was a tool and die/mechanical designer for many years so I am lean toward using guards. Seen/heard of too many accidents because of guards being removed. Of course I could make a guard too.

Humm, will have to look a little closer at this. But as long as the motor will not limit my swing I prefer to use it as designed. I did think about and have not ruled out putting a jack shaft in place of the motor and hanging the motor in the the cabinet out of the way and out of site.