PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of a Craigslist Gloat

Pete Moe
09-28-2014, 8:27 PM
I saw an ad for hand planes pop up this afternoon and responded immediately...and picked them up half an hour later (I've learned with CL you have to act almost instantaneously to snag a bargain.)

The seller was just clearing out his Grandfather's house after his passing at 92 years old. He listed them for $45. I showed up and he threw in two squares and a drawknife... Meet my new friends, Stanley #s 7, 5, 4 1/2, 3, and their little cousin (I threw in my woodriver #6 and craftsman #4 just to complete the lineup). They all need a little cleaning up - but they are all in pretty good shape. The #7 looks rarely used. The try squares were made from pieces of a stanley rule - I havent checked them for actual square...but they look cool. I gave the guy a little extra just to maintain good tool karma. He's happy, I'm happy. And Grandpa, I promise to give them a good home.

pat doyle
09-28-2014, 8:42 PM
Grandpa's hand will be guiding your hand as you use them, sorta like my fathers tools, when I use them I feel him thru them. It's good karma!

Frederick Skelly
09-28-2014, 9:41 PM
Ok, Ill be the first to say it - YOU SUCK!

What a find!

Fred

george wilson
09-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Amazing that you got all those tools for $45.00

Jim Koepke
09-29-2014, 12:29 PM
I gave the guy a little extra just to maintain good tool karma.

You must have some good tool karma going already.

Looking at the planes it appears they may be from the mid 1930s. Then doing the math he (the grandpa) may have been just starting out as a young man when he acquired these.

Great find.

jtk

Jim Matthews
09-29-2014, 9:03 PM
The drawknife alone is worth a Jackson.

Good steel, no rust and all the original parts?
You suck

Harold Burrell
09-30-2014, 7:35 AM
Verily, thou dost suck.

Pete Moe
09-30-2014, 8:43 PM
Well, just to show that it's good to maintain your tool karma...

The same guy hooked me up with some of his Grandad's saws - a Disston D8 rip (thumbhole) from about the turn of the century, a D8 crosscut from between 1911 and 1929, a D20 from between the wars and a late 40's D23. I got those and he threw in a few other saws (what else is he going to do with them), a bunch of C clamps, a vintage (no brand) variable square and a cool little stanley three bubble baby level.

May the suckage continue unabated!

Marty Gulseth
10-01-2014, 3:10 PM
OK, I won't say the obvious. Instead...

I'm JEALOUS!!

Congrats! Regards,

Marty

Al Launier
10-01-2014, 3:43 PM
Now that's a steal!!!!! Did you get visiting rights too? ;)

Pete Moe
10-01-2014, 9:16 PM
Here are my new friends. Left to right it's the D8 rip (the tip of one of the horns is broken a bit), the D8 crosscut (missing original nuts), the D20, a Warranted Superior rip (probably will become scraper fodder), the d23, a timber saw (can read the etching and its missing the medallion), and another later crosscut. I didn't really have any quality saws, so I'm psyched to Neander my way into it. I'm just going to clean them up a bit to get them up to purpose. The Disstons are dead straight and pretty well jointed. They will need a little dressing up to be usefully sharp. I guess I get to learn a new skill!

My thanks go out to all of you who have gone before and paved the way for the modern caveman. Oog!

Matthew N. Masail
10-02-2014, 9:40 AM
You almost made me. Cry. But happy for you !