PDA

View Full Version : Safety Glasses w/prescription inserts

Charles McKinley
07-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi All,

This is in response to the safety glasses thread a few days ago. It already had three pages to it so I’m starting a new thread.

The Glasses are North 50N model with part number T5655B. The prescription inserts are 65Rx. I purchased them from Airgas in Franklin, PA. If you cannot find them They still have them in stock and I can give you their contact information. Airgas is a chain that has many stores across the US and a website; however, I didn’t see these there the other day.

The glasses and inserts were under $12. The Rx lenses cost me $165, have transitions lenses with the scratch gaurd and bi-focals.

The pics are the glasses apart, a close up of the insert and the glasses together.

Michael Perata
07-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Chuck

Do you have any problem with parallax having a different media in front of the lenses.

I have tried similar solutions in the past and found the new focus point way in or way out, making the lenses virtually useless.

Chip Olson
07-11-2005, 3:26 PM
What's your correction? I got a set of ski glasses with prescription inserts several years ago, but found them unusable because the lenses weren't parallel to my face, and at my prescription (-5.50 OD, -6.50 OS, half a diopter or so of astigmatism) this caused way too much distortion. I now just wear goggles over my glasses for skiing, and clear over-the-lens safety glasses over them for sawdust-making.

Dan Forman
07-11-2005, 4:48 PM
Charles---Thanks for the info. An interesting solution to a vexing problem.

Dan

Charles McKinley
07-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi All,

I'm extreamly near sighted. I'm not sure what the exact Rx is. The spects go on usually before I get out of bed and put back under the bed when I lay down.

When I first got them they felt a little different but now I can wear them all the time even with the computer where I noticed the most difference when I first got them. They are about the same distance from my eye as my normal glasses.

I have had them for about a year and like them so far. In the past I have had safety frames with the lenses mounted in them which is what I would go back to if I didn't have these.