PDA

View Full Version : hmmmmm.....New Tool Handle

charlie knighton
09-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Brent English (https://www.facebook.com/brent.english.12?fref=nf)
22 hrs ·

Robust is coming out with a woodturning tool handle. Here's a little video of the prototype. Comments are welcome - as are name suggestions. Thanks for looking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzXoe19pyU

Bill White
09-28-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm sure that it will be well made, but I prefer to have each of my tools with permanent handles. Now if I were traveling with tools????
Bill

Dok Yager
09-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Hmmm, nice looking clamp end , however for a tool that size I would think that an Aluminum handle that is counter weighted might be in order. Just a thought. I like being able to switch out tool ends rapidly.

charlie knighton
09-30-2014, 11:25 AM
nice looking clamp end , however for a tool that size I would think that an Aluminum handle that is counter weighted might be in order

Dok, I believe sb sells them that way, Robust is going to sell just the collect and you make your tool handle, depends on what you want

Reed Gray
09-30-2014, 11:57 AM
I will have to wait to actually see one. First thought is that it looks heavy. I prefer light weight myself. The weight will be near the balance point though.

robo hippy

David Delo
09-30-2014, 1:12 PM
I prefer a permanent handle.......no interruption in concentration, just grab and go. But I've been looking at these types of interchangeable handles to make sharpening a little bit easier with the length of the bowl gouge handles. Kind of like the collet idea better than messing around with 2 grub screws to loosen & tighten.

Reed Gray
09-30-2014, 2:03 PM
I do have a couple of the D Way handles that have a knurled knob instead of the set screws, for sure easier than trying to find the correct allen wrench. They are a big heavy for my taste, but work great. I am no fan of the weighted handles, shot filled or otherwise. I picked up a couple of different gouges in Phoenix that I need to experiment with, and having the east to switch handle is good. I did pick up one of Stuart Batty's scrapers down in Phoenix, and my first comment was 'dang, this thing is heavy'. The weight will add up over the course of a full day's worth of turning.

robo hippy