PDA

View Full Version : Question about staining engraved wood

Jay Selway
09-28-2014, 9:35 AM
So I'm working on a project where I've engraved some type into some cedar. I hit it with some boiled linseed oil, and it looks great. My only concern is the raised areas don't seem to be standing out as much as the blo darkened everything. I'm thinking I can probably lightly sand it, but was also thinking a little drybrush of some light paint might pick up the details that are getting list after oiling.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Maloney
09-28-2014, 2:15 PM
Picture time Jay.

Jay Selway
09-28-2014, 8:24 PM
Before stain: http://instagram.com/p/tbYb7AOQDr/

During linseed oil: http://instagram.com/p/teM-zouQIS

(I'll post another in a bit, about to head out to the workshop)

Bill George
09-29-2014, 7:15 AM
Would not change a thing.

Kev Williams
09-29-2014, 12:40 PM
The linseed oil darkened the light wood and lightened the dark- it's all perception caused by reflected light. Both look very nice IMO. Only suggestion I can think of is to try a matte or satin finish rather than glossy linseed oil?

Jay Selway
09-29-2014, 12:58 PM
The linseed oil darkened the light wood and lightened the dark- it's all perception caused by reflected light. Both look very nice IMO. Only suggestion I can think of is to try a matte or satin finish rather than glossy linseed oil?

Well, I totally ruined it last night trying to do some gold leaf (long story), so I guess I'll have to burn it and try again. OH well... live and learn.

David Somers
09-29-2014, 2:19 PM
Jay,

Linseed oil, and oil in general is going to darken the wood, even though it can add a chatoyance or shimmer to the wood. The price you pay for that is a slightly darker hue. You might go to a completely clear finish like a clear urethane? Satin for example? That will coat and protect it, and even add some gloss if you want without darkening the wood? You won't get that shimmer though.

Dave

Martin Boekers
09-29-2014, 5:23 PM
Is it "wicking" into the non-engraved areas? If not mask it, laser it and with the mask in place, then sponge on the BLO.

It looks real nice!

Jay Selway
09-29-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys. I am chalking this one up to a learning experience. I totally wrecked it with the gold leaf. No worries, just a cheap bit of cedar. Glad it wasn't the really nice bit of Dibetou I was also working on! That one looks amazing (and expensive)!