PDA

View Full Version : Small backsaw re-furb

steven c newman
09-28-2014, 9:30 AM
Had an oldish Made in West Germany backsaw in the shop. Plate is 30cm/11-7/8" long. About 70mm/2-7/8" between the teeth and the spine. Was a bit small for the mitrebox I have. Maybe re-file it as a rip, and make it a tenon saw?

Couple of pine scraps, a "C" clamp or two, and the leg vise on the bench. Made things a bit low to stand and file, but....with Tool Chest #1 sitting there as a seat......just right.

Now, holding a wee little file with just these old fingers ( and Uncle Arthur-itis) is a pain. So, and old tote was cobbled up a bit. Has a finger guard to hit them teeth before my fingers do.
File handle and the Victim. Just a plain Jane type of backsaw. No exotic wood, fancy hardware, or other dodads. Spline was blackened for some reason, when I bought it for a $1. LOTS of small, but DULL teeth. Took a while to file each of them. Eyes got a bit crossed sometimes ( I MISSED two teeth) and had to take a break.

FINALLY got to the end of the plate! Tried it out on a 2x4 scrap, as a rip/shoulder cut
Did not take very long to get to the full depth. Cuts very fast, and IF the idiot behind the handle holds the saw correctly, it WILL cut very straight, too. Gave it a try on something a bit different. Had a pine board that was a bit to wide to make a new tray for tool chest #2. Clamped it down to the bench top, with the correct amount hanging out in mid-air, of course
Pine board, with the 1/4" strip that was ripped off. Saw does a good job, will need a pass or two with a plane to smooth the saw marks.

Then, just for something to do, I clamped up the 18" Craftsman Miter saw and gave it to the filer, as well. Also filed rip. Just the 18 will fit in the Craftsman Mitrebox. Gives the fine tooth 22" saw a break, too.

This might get to be fun! Have a pair of D-8 Twins that need a wee bit of work. 8ppi, will need a slightly bigger file, maybe?

And just to see IF it works, I be filing them as a rip, as well. Just to see IF Sellers is right......:eek:

Terry Beadle
09-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Nice job on the saw! Looks like it will cut the mustard...er...pine...hoot!

I want to thank you for the file handle picture. What a great idea. I'm going to have to make me one the arthritis can be a real bummer.

I was wondering about the differences in the handle color between the two pictures. Was it just lighting effect or did you rework the handle and
restain/finish? The plate looks rusted in the second picture too. Just wondering.

Thanks for posting !

steven c newman
09-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Back lit on the darker one, is all. Plate is still rusty. Might work on that next.

One side is a bit more rusty than the "money side" is, though. I guess I will just have to place some 3M purple pad under a palm sander and scrub the red stuff away...maybe add a little 3in1 oil to shine it up.