PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could have that board back

Donnie Raines
07-11-2005, 11:39 AM
My family and I attended a little grill out my sister hosted over the weekend. When we got there I could not help but run over and look at the end table I had made her several years back(a curly cherry end table). The table legs were nice and tapered(pretty good for of my first table ...I thought to myself).....but I did not pay attention to the grain direction so one face has some qrt sawn marks and the other three faces are almost normal. Then I looked at the joinery....not bad, not bad I said to myself. Nice and tight and the reveal on the aprons is just about right. Then I made my way to the top. OOOHHHHHHH what a wonderful example of curly cherry. The curl could'nt be better. But then I noticed the profile I had routed in it....ogee. Not there is anything wrong with an ogee profile...just not on a Shaker end table(that was what I was trying to build for my sister several years back...when I had just gotten into woodworking). Then theres the poly finish....of coarse it is a wipe on poly. Shine and streaky...all at the same time. The only reason the table looks good is becuase of the wood........ :rolleyes:

Boy would I love to have that board back for something to build these days. Along with all the others I butchered...... :rolleyes: :D

Lee Schierer
07-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Looking back at old projects is a good way to measure your progress. When I see some of my early attempts that I was very happy with at the time, I think of how much better they would be now with my improved skills. Since each project is a learning experience, I would expect most everyone would get better over time. If not, then a new hobby should be considered. :D

Tim Sproul
07-11-2005, 2:30 PM
Boy would I love to have that board back for something to build these days. Along with all the others I butchered...... :rolleyes: :D

Had you never "butchered" those boards, you would not be in a position to look back at them :).

Keith Christopher
07-11-2005, 3:39 PM
I will never post pictures of my first project. Ever. I look at it now and it's more like a self-intepretive dance. I learned alot about joinery and installing drawers and in the end it's not so bad I guess, it still works as my daughter uses it still but I think it's more sentimental than anything.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-11-2005, 6:54 PM
I think an ogee bit is the first bit anybody buys...and probably the first one they quit using. I haven't used one in probably 22 years. But I've still got it. Just in case.

KC

Jim Becker
07-11-2005, 9:21 PM
I think an ogee bit is the first bit anybody buys...and probably the first one they quit using.

I am proud to admit...I still don't own that profile!! :D