PDA

View Full Version : Bristol TN, "Birthplace of Country Music"

Ole Anderson
09-27-2014, 10:09 AM
While visiting my BIL in Bristol TN/VA (the state line runs down the middle of main street) we happened by on the weekend they have the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion. Huge country music festival with over 20 venues and over a hundred bands. And lots of street food. Emmylou Harris was the headliner this year, but most were local or regional groups ranging from folk to bluegrass to gospel to high power country rockers. Music started at 10:30 am and ran until after midnight. http://www.bristolrhythm.com/

In 1927 a New York music producer placed an ad for local music artists to come to Bristol for a week of recording sessions, which became known as the Bristol Sessions. Until that point, there was really no recordings of that genre of music. Most recognizable was the Carter Family and Jimmie Rogers. Johnny Cash called the Bristol Sessions “the single most important event in the history of country music". Also known as the Big Bang of Country Music. In August 2014, the local organizers opened the "Birthplace of Country Museum" in Bristol. We visited there ($13 admission) and were really impressed with the museum. The museum is centered on the Bristol Sessions, but displays and videos are more wide ranging, but in general focus on more traditional country music, not today's modern popular country genre. Stop by if you are going to be in the area, you won't be disappointed. Sorry if this sounds like an ad, but we were really impressed.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2014, 1:00 PM
It's a pretty area Ole! My oldest son and I were there for a weekend of Nascar races 2 years ago. We stayed in Knoxville though and were bussed to Bristol daily. Didn't see anything but the race track.

Joe Tilson
10-02-2014, 9:14 AM
Those of us from that area of the country know how beautiful it really is. Get out there and explore a little, there are nice parks, lakes, and just good ole folks. Lots of wood working in that area as well. I don't know if Rick McCurry's turnings are well known out there, but he and his friend do some really neat work with burls, hickory, oak, and even poplar. Rick's been doing his work for about thirty years. He works out of Unaka Springs, just south of Erwin, along the Nolichucky river. It is not to far off of I-26. He runs one of the river rafting places.

Val Kosmider
10-02-2014, 3:21 PM
Here is another "Local" guy who does some pretty outstanding woodwork: http://furniturewithhistory.com/

The area is beautiful; the people are outstanding; hardwood is readily available at reasonable cost; there is some extraordinary talent (both woodworking and music!); and most everyone thinks we are all hillbillies so they leave us to our piece of paradise.

Ole Anderson
10-03-2014, 8:56 AM
My BIL was the plant supervisor at the local dairy plant until they closed it 5 years ago. They used to make their own plastic milk jugs, a lot of which were bought by local moonshiners for their "business". That part of the business would dry up whenever the gov't revenuers were in town. He had some real good stories of some of the hill folks that worked at the plant.