PDA

View Full Version : What is the cheapest cell phone?

Moses Yoder
09-27-2014, 5:04 AM
A cell phone is not really a necessity for most people, but it is an extremely handy luxury. I wouldn't be without one any more. We are with Sprint now and get a 10% discount I think because my wife works at Chiphone (credit union). We pay $147 monthly for 5 phones with more minutes than we use, unlimited texting, no data. I really don't think there is a way to get by cheaper but there may be. My wife thinks it is ridiculous to pay the 147 but she entered the $340 monthly automatic withdrawal for insurance without batting an eye. So far as phones go, is Straight Talk or something like that really functional and is it cheaper? My wife and I, my 18 year old and 22 year old daughters, and my mother-in-law are all on our phone plan. My MIL is to reimburse us the $10 it costs to add her but that usually comes out in the wash because she buys something for us. My 22 year old is paying one of the household bills starting soon as rent just so she is not getting a free ride any more, learning responsibility. Basically we are paying $30 per month per phone; is there really a cheaper alternative that is functional? This question stems from my "keep track of expenses" project.

Tom Giles
09-27-2014, 6:57 AM
I use Republic wireless and I pay $10 a month $12 and change after taxes. Unlimited calls/text/data. The catch, data on the $10 plan is only over wifi. No contract and you buy the phone for $99. They also have a more expensive phone. You can get 3G data unlimited calls/text/3G data for $25. 4G is more. You can switch plans twice a month.

I don't care about a data so I have the $10 plan. Works off of Sprint towers (better than my Sprint service was) PM me you email addy and I can send you a referral for $20 credit.

Moses Yoder
09-27-2014, 7:16 AM
I use Republic wireless and I pay $10 a month $12 and change after taxes. Unlimited calls/text/data. The catch, data on the $10 plan is only over wifi. No contract and you buy the phone for $99. They also have a more expensive phone. You can get 3G data unlimited calls/text/3G data for $25. 4G is more. You can switch plans twice a month.

I don't care about a data so I have the $10 plan. Works off of Sprint towers (better than my Sprint service was) PM me you email addy and I can send you a referral for $20 credit.

This looks great, exactly what I was looking for, will have to see how soon I can get out of my current Sprint plan and then do a little more research on Republic.

Moses Yoder
09-27-2014, 7:31 AM
I am at the edge of the 4G coverage, Republic claims 3G coverage. Our Sprint phones do not work in our house, we had to get the Sprint Airave which sends the signal through the internet. Is there something similar for Republic, or is there a way to make calls over wifi?

Tom Giles
09-27-2014, 7:38 AM
I am at the edge of the 4G coverage, Republic claims 3G coverage. Our Sprint phones do not work in our house, we had to get the Sprint Airave which sends the signal through the internet. Is there something similar for Republic, or is there a way to make calls over wifi?

That's exactly what republic does, offloads calls via wifi when possible. You don't need any extra equipment. That's why they are less expensive. Like you I had signal issues at home with all the cell providers I've tried. My cell calls at home now are all over wifi and very clear.

You just have to have wifi available. The phone will automatically switch to cell towers when out of range of your wifi.

I also run my land line through the internet (Vonage) at $12 after taxes. So I have unlimited land line long distance and unlimited cell for less than $25 a month. Some people pay triple that just for cell service.