PDA

View Full Version : Void filler question

Ricc Havens
09-26-2014, 4:16 PM
I am turning a travel mug wight he stainless steel liner from Woodcraft for our church's pastor appreciation next weekend. I have a nice piece of ambrosia maple with a little curl grain that has some worm holes. A couple of them got turned away as I got near the final mug dimensions. But I have a couple large worm holes and a longer worm track that I need to fill.

I have used CA and sanding dust for small cracks in bowls that are more decorative than bowls used daily. But unsure if it will be a good fix for a mug that may get used often. I have read about people using coffee grounds with CA glue or 15min. epoxy. here are my questions:

1) Which method do you guys recommend and have had success with?

2) I think epoxy might be better but when mixed even before adding the coffee grounds the viscosity is thick and may not flow down into the holes far enough. How do you thin epoxy without losing it's gripping power?

3) If I go with the CA/coffee grounds method - will the CA hold up to daily use on a travel mug?

Looking forward to your input

THANKS!!
Ricc Havens

Thom Sturgill
09-26-2014, 4:34 PM
Either method will work. coffee grounds creates a rich brown color almost like a bark inclusion and is often used for sealing them. To set the worm holes off, you could use crushed stone or metal filings in a matching or contrasting epoxy mix. I'll let someone else address thinning as I have not been too successful with that myself. I just pack the groove or hole with a small stick.

Joseph M Lary
09-26-2014, 9:50 PM
I have used coffee & brass shaving for a key cutting machines ,with epoxy clear and ca glue .I lke the epoxy better .

gary jarvis
09-28-2014, 9:07 AM
thin the epoxy with acetone.

Ricc Havens
09-29-2014, 4:32 PM
Thanks guys. I'm trying the epoxy/coffee grounds and will try to thin with a heat gun

Thanks for all your input

Ricc