PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have opinions on chrome versus brushed nickel for faucets?

Brian Elfert
09-25-2014, 4:28 PM
I really want to get brushed nickel finish for the faucets in my house that is being remodeled right now, but I'm a little leery with reports of them being hard to clean. I also read that the latest finishes are no longer an issue. I am looking at Moen faucets that have their "Spot Resist" coating on the brushed nickel.

Has anyone had both chrome and brushed nickel faucets and can comment on which is easier to keep clean?

Sean Troy
09-25-2014, 4:32 PM
We have brushed nickel and have no problem cleaning them. Love the look also.

Erik Loza
09-25-2014, 4:55 PM
We have brushed nickel and have no problem cleaning them. Love the look also.

+1...

Us as well.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Chris Padilla
09-25-2014, 4:59 PM
I love brushed nickel and really wanted it for our master bathroom remodel but it "didn't work" according to wifey-poo so chrome it is. We DO have brushed nickel on other fixtures and it is quite lovely and easy to care for. FWIW, I have never heard of any issues keeping brushed nickel fixtures clean.

Mike Henderson
09-25-2014, 5:03 PM
I like the brushed nickel, also. Prefer it to chrome.

Mike

Al Launier
09-25-2014, 5:03 PM
Couldn't agree more! +2

Brian Elfert
09-25-2014, 5:12 PM
I'll go with the brushed nickel then. The extra cost is like $60 for two faucets which is a rounding error on the project costs.

David Weaver
09-25-2014, 5:23 PM
I like the look of chrome better, but everything we have is brushed nickel or brushed stainless. As with the rest, never any problem cleaning it, and some of ours is cheap junk more or less.

Steve Peterson
09-26-2014, 12:30 PM
My personal preference is that brushed nickel looks better. Chrome may seem like it is easier to clean and you will know it is clean when it is shiny. The very fact that it is shiny will make every water drop show after it dries, especially if you have hard water. You will end up cleaning the chrome a lot more often than brushed nickel.

Val Kosmider
09-26-2014, 1:10 PM
Cleaning brushed nickel is not an issue. I personally prefer chrome, but it is hard to find a broad array of matching chrome fixtures.....basin hardware, hinges, window latches, drawer handles etc. For the latter issue, you are much better off with brushed nickel.

Brian Elfert
09-26-2014, 4:16 PM
Home Depot and Menards I noticed both seem to have more chrome or bronze fixtures than brushed nickel. There seems to be a trend towards two handle faucets instead of single handle. I would personally never buy a two handle faucet as they are a pain to use, but people must like them.

I picked up two Moen faucets in brushed nickel last night at Menards. They have them on sale right now.

Chris Padilla
09-26-2014, 4:21 PM
I, again, tried to sell my wife on a single handle faucet for the new vanity/counter but she liked the more "elegant" look of two handled faucet. She felt the single handle looked too masculine. What do I know?! ;)

dennis davidson
09-26-2014, 8:00 PM
Brushed nickel has a thin coating (several millionths of an inch) of chrome applied over the nickel to keep it from tarnishing. The so called chrome finish is the same chrome thickness over a much thicker bright nickel layer. The nickel alone tarnishes readily and the chromium layer prevents that.

Andrew DiLorenzo
10-04-2014, 4:50 PM
My personal preference is that brushed nickel looks better. Chrome may seem like it is easier to clean and you will know it is clean when it is shiny. The very fact that it is shiny will make every water drop show after it dries, especially if you have hard water. You will end up cleaning the chrome a lot more often than brushed nickel.

Go with brushed nickel. I think it is more classy.