PDA

View Full Version : Silver Engraving-Advice Requested

Ray Cervantes
09-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Good morning all,
I'm a small business owner looking to potentially "farm-in" engraving. I work with sterling silver plated (over brass) stampings. The engraveable area is around 1 inch by 1/2 an inch. The engraving would generally be 3 letters done in script style.

I've never done engraving before, but it would make a large difference to the business if I started, so I'm open to investing/learning.

My question-what type of machine would you recommend to start out on, and later, to "upgrade" to if it's worthwhile.

Currently, I'm a complete novice with no idea where to start, so any advice would be appreciated.

Tony Lenkic
09-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Ray,

My guess is that you would do diamond drag type of engraving. For only 3 characters per tag most cot effective approach would be an used New Hermes pantograph with set of script font.
Check ebay for availability.

Ross Moshinsky
09-25-2014, 1:15 PM
You want a mechanical engraving machine. On brass, we use diamond burnished bits with a rotating spindle. Diamond drag is a method of engraving where the bit does not rotate.

Ray Cervantes
09-25-2014, 3:37 PM
Thanks for the answers! Are there specific differences between the Engravograph & Pantograph? Ebay has a few of the one, but not of the other that will ship.

Tony Lenkic
09-25-2014, 3:51 PM
Ray, where are you located? Someone could track down unit in your general area to help in search.

Ray Cervantes
09-25-2014, 3:56 PM
Located an hour north of Seattle, but am glad to drive anywhere within 2-3 hours in any direction.

David Somers
09-25-2014, 6:22 PM
Ray,

Hey from another Northwesterner! I live in West Seattle and work downtown. Holler if I can do anything for you here.

Dave

Mark Sipes
09-25-2014, 6:46 PM
Ray, this machine is in OR. and sounds about your size/requirements.
APEX HPGL NEWING HALL NH100http:itm/APEX-HPGL-NEWING-HALL-NH100-NH-100-ENGRAVER-NICE-/360960905903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540af252af

I have had my eye on this for several months.... save delivery if you drive to Milton Freewater, Oregon

Moderator's note: search ebay

Kev Williams
09-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Seems like once a week someone is asking me if I want to buy a New Hermes V-3200 engraving machine... They're identical to the V-3400 (which I have 3 of) except the 3200 has an air operated spindle, the 3400's spindle is stepper operated. Last year I bought a little-used 3200 with an EP module and a like-new spindle for $500. Just the spindle & EP module were worth that much to me. The air spindle is a little barbaric compared the stepper, but setup correctly it works just fine.

Pantographs are great, and fun, but they're very very prone to human error. And with a pantograph, if you're engraving, you're NOT doing anything else. Not a good tool for multi-taskers! ;)

Ray Cervantes
09-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Hello all,
I've found a pantograph on Ebay-should this work for what I'm looking to do?
eBay item 231336384114
Any idea on how long time wise it would take to do 3 letters on one of these once the setup is dialed in?

Kev Williams
09-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Yes it will, but you're looking at having to by a set of master copy in the font(s) you want. New font sets are typcially $150 to $250, and that's for the 5/8" to 3/4" inch sizes. Larger fonts get more spendy. Of course you might find some used fonts for a good price.

Ratio's on that machine range from 2:1 to 7:1. This means with a 1" master you can engrave a .500" letter down to a .143" letter. If you need larger than a 1/2" finished letter, you'll need larger than a 1" font blank.

As for time, engraving 3 letters only takes about a minute...

IMO you'd be better to find a used computer controlled machine...

David Somers
09-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Kev,

When you say a small computer controlled machine, are you thinking of a very small table top CNC router? Or were you referring to something else? Just curious. I have paid little attention to this type of technology.

Dave

Mark Sipes
09-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Bellingham area. I would find someone in the area that would would show you a rotary engraver in operation vs a manual system.

All American Engraving,
Bay Trophies & Engraving
Most shops I know don't mind showing you their equipment. Most of the manual systems I know of are under a tarp in the back of the shop or in the garage. I sold my system to a guy in Cyprus.........and bought another Newing-Hall.

Ross Moshinsky
09-26-2014, 5:45 PM
I'd also seriously look at an older CNC rotary engraver. They are worth the extra money for versatility and ease of use.

The biggest thing to look at is the software side of things. A lot of the older machines run on older software and old operating systems. Don't buy anything without the computer. If you need to upgrade to modern software, you're looking at a $1000+.

Kev,

When you say a small computer controlled machine, are you thinking of a very small table top CNC router? Or were you referring to something else? Just curious. I have paid little attention to this type of technology.

Dave

A CNC mechanical engraver is a typically more accurate yet less powerful CNC router. Engravers use higher tolerance ball screws (typically) and a different style of spindle. Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

Ray Cervantes
09-26-2014, 9:50 PM
Any recommendations on specific CNC engravers? I'd be open to it, I just thought it wouldn't work with silver since it's soft.

David Somers
09-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks Ross!

Dave

Mark Sipes
09-27-2014, 8:05 PM
You mentioned that if it worked for you, you might want to upgrade........????

"My question-what type of machine would you recommend to start out on, and later, to "upgrade" to if it's worthwhile."

I would find someone local that would take on your project for a reasonable price and see if this is really an area you want to get into. Do you need a centering vise, how large a table will you need next year 12 x 12 , 15 x 15 , 24 + the machine I pointed out on Ebay is win 98, xp, 7, compatible. G-Code controller (APEX) software is available to run....... not an area you just want to throw money at until you lock down your requirements.......