PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Mahogany Box

Cory Waldrop
09-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I just completed a box project for my Grandma. Earlier in the year I was visiting and she told me that she wanted me to make her a small box for her birthday. It didn't matter how big or fancy, she just wanted something made by me.

Well as other projects got in the way I missed her birthday, but I did not forget about it.

It is made of Peruvian Walnut and Mahogany. The Mahogany was chosen for its ribbon look and the Walnut seemed like a good contrast and I am a sucker for figured wood. I decided on a design since I live in an apartment and work on a balcony, no power tools were used (except a small dremel trio to route the stopped groove for the bottom panel). I tried using the plow plane on a scrap piece to make a stopped groove but it doesn't really like doing that. I could have cut it by hand and used the router plane but I felt it would take too long and I needed to get this done before I am in the middle of a move in the next two months. So I bit the bullet and just got it done with the router and edge guide and it only took about 3 minutes.

Here is the finished product:

My photography skills are a bit lacking but these pictures made the cut from what I took.

Finish is shellac using the french polish technique followed by steel wool and paste wax. Silky smooth.

The bottom panel is covered in black vinyl. I had some 1/4" oak plywood on hand so I just used what I had. Hinges are Brusso stop hinges.

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

Jim Rimmer
09-24-2014, 1:08 PM
Really nice. Grandma will love it.

Marty Gulseth
09-24-2014, 3:21 PM
That is mighty fine looking. And there is not a thing wrong with your photography skills.

Regards,

Marty

Cory Waldrop
09-25-2014, 3:32 PM
Thanks Jim and Marty.

Jim Tobias
09-25-2014, 3:49 PM
"It didn't matter how big or fancy, she just wanted something made by me. "
This makes it a SPECIAL BOX! And on top of that, you did a nice job on wood choice and execution.
That walnut figure grabs you!!

Jim

joe valsi
09-27-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm not too keen on the overall dimentions, and proportions, but . . . WOW !!! I'm blown away by those DoveTails !! Holy cow, some of the best I have ever seen !! That is amazing skill !!! Great job !!!!!!!!!! Wow !!!

Pat Barry
09-28-2014, 7:51 PM
I like it. Nice fit and finish and the sidepanels make a nice contrast to the front and top

Cory Waldrop
09-29-2014, 2:11 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. I wanted the box to be small and I argued with myself over the dimensions but I actually like the size. There is a saying that a mark of a good woodworker is not in how perfectly he does the work, but how well he can hide his mistakes. I guess I am doing pretty well then :). There were some gaps in the dovetails, but I was able to correct most problems before finishing.