PDA

View Full Version : Finish recommendation?

Rudy Fuselier
07-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I have need to refinish the oak entry door set at my home. It is fourteen years old and we just bought this house so I do not know what was put on it before. It appears as though it was just stained and maybe oiled. It is now very dry and needs to be cleaned and some kind of finish needs to be applied. A painter tells me that the best finish to use is marine varnish. Do any of you have any experience with this and have a recommendation for me. This is the main entry to a nice home. The door has leaded beveled glass in it with side lites. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cecil Arnold
07-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Since you don't know what was on it before I would recommend a thin coat, 1-2lb cut, of super blond dewaxed shellac after you have all your sanding prep done. Then at least three coats of a good marine spar varnish. Depending on where you live that will give you from 1-5 years or more of protection. In my part of the country it is more like one year. If you keep an eye on the finish, in the future you will only need to sand lightly and give it a single fresh coat.

Tim Sproul
07-11-2005, 11:24 AM
IME, clear paint holds up significantly better than spar varnish outdoors. This is just through rains and sun, no freeze-thaws.

oil-based alkyld paint, neutral base or some manu's use a numbering system so #5 or #4 base is the proper one, depending on the manu. NO TINT. It dries as clear as varnish or oil-finish.

Rudy Fuselier
07-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I had a painter also recommend marine varnish. I thought that maybe polyurethane would last longer, but I guess marine varnish is the way to go. I will also check into the clear paint. I have never heard of that. Thanks for the response.

Jim Becker
07-12-2005, 9:24 AM
I had a painter also recommend marine varnish. I thought that maybe polyurethane would last longer, but I guess marine varnish is the way to go. I will also check into the clear paint. I have never heard of that. Thanks for the response.

Polyurethane is about the worst finish you can use outdoors...it breaks down quickly from UV. Tim has the best answer according to some very knowledgable folks I know from another forum. Exterior Alkyd Oil Tint Base has UV inhibitors and lasts quite well for applications like this and since without the tint, it dries clear...voila!

That said, any film finish is going to need maintenance on a regular basis for outdoor applications. The repeated heating/cooling/mosture/dry, etc. cycling is brutal on the finish, and the wood.

Rudy Fuselier
07-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the responses. I really do appreciate being able to tap into the knowledge that you guys have.