PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started - Mac + Trotec

Tanya Bishop
09-24-2014, 12:22 AM
Hi all :)

What do I need to set up a Trotec laser with a Mac computer? I already run Adobe Illustrator on my Mac can I just get it to talk to the laser if I install Parallels? Do I need Windows operating system installed too? I love designing but the technical aspects I have no idea :) please help!!!! How does this set up work exactly.....? Anyone out there running on a Mac...;)

Thanks
Tanya

Chris J Anderson
09-24-2014, 12:30 AM
Hi tanya,
I guess that would depend on what software you are going to design with, mac or windows based.

There are a wide range of software / hardware combinations in use out there.

But of you are using a Mac, and want to use Coreldraw, I can say that mine works fine with Windows 8.1, running in VMware Fusion, on a Macbook Pro.

Beyond that, others may be able to help or you'll need to do your own experimenting.

I've never used parallels so can't comment on that option.

Cheers,
Chris

Tanya Bishop
09-24-2014, 4:03 AM
Thanks Chris :)

I was hoping I could design off my Mac based Adobe Illustrator.... I haven't installed anything yet in regards to Parallels was looking at Fusion too (I read somewhere about Parallels being easier to install for non techies). I was just trying to get out of having to purchase another design program. Is your Coreldraw a PC version installed on the Fusion/virtual machine side - is that how it works? Or is your Corel a Mac version...... gosh I hope I'm making sense ;)

Henri Sallinen
09-24-2014, 4:26 AM
I'm using a Macbook Pro with Windows 7 running on Parallels. The Corel Draw is installed on the Windows side.

Tanya Bishop
09-24-2014, 5:47 AM
Thanks Henri

Martin James
09-24-2014, 8:39 AM
Macbook pro, maverics, parallels 9, windows 8.1, photoshop cc. I have corel x6 but unless you want the print merge to add data to name tags, you will probably stay with illustrator.
when you set up the windows inside parallels you need to remap all the windows shortcuts so they are the same as your normal mac shortcuts. And Prevent the windows os from ever connecting to the internet.

Then you need to read up carefully before you upgrade you mac os. For example today if you upgrade to the latest maverics, you will need to reinstall the coresponding parallels update to patchup the new changes.

it works for me.
Marty

corel can do lots of things, but it would take some time to learn it. I thought i would just print out the list of corel shortcuts as a place to start. The list was 20 pages long. With that many active shortcuts you cant just hit the keyboard to find them as it would make a mess. Especially if you are working 2 or 3 programs.

Tanya Bishop
09-24-2014, 7:42 PM
Macbook pro, maverics, parallels 9, windows 8.1, photoshop cc. I have corel x6 but unless you want the print merge to add data to name tags, you will probably stay with illustrator.
when you set up the windows inside parallels you need to remap all the windows shortcuts so they are the same as your normal mac shortcuts. And Prevent the windows os from ever connecting to the internet.

Then you need to read up carefully before you upgrade you mac os. For example today if you upgrade to the latest maverics, you will need to reinstall the coresponding parallels update to patchup the new changes.

it works for me.
Marty

corel can do lots of things, but it would take some time to learn it. I thought i would just print out the list of corel shortcuts as a place to start. The list was 20 pages long. With that many active shortcuts you cant just hit the keyboard to find them as it would make a mess. Especially if you are working 2 or 3 programs.

Thanks Martin :)

So do I need to get a PC version of Illustrator to make it work with the laser????

Sorry for all the questions....

Thanks everyone :)

Chris J Anderson
09-24-2014, 10:15 PM
On my system...

I use Coreldraw v6. Windows runs as a virtual machine (just a great big file) in VMware Fusion.
So I just purchased and installed VMware Fusion, then installed Windows into Fusion, its pretty easy.
Not sure you can get Coreldraw for Mac, but Corel is awesome as their is lots of support out there and its ideal for use with a Laser.

I don't have any issues with having Windows connected tp the net, making it easy to do updates etc.
But I do have a paid version of McAfee in Windows as normal. You'll need to let it connect to the net to update etc.

The great thing about running windows on a Mac, is because your Windows program is just a (big) file, when you do your 'Time Machine' backup of your Mac onto a large storage drive, it can optionally back up your whole windows system as well.
I do a backup weekly, and before adding programs / updates to Windows, so its really easy to revert back.

I store all of my data files in DropBox, enabling me to share between a few PC's.

Also, because my Macbook is flash drive, Windows opens quicker and runs nicer than on a PC.

Hope this helps.

Jason Hilton
09-25-2014, 10:52 AM
If you are using a subscription version of illustrator you can install the PC version on your windows partition if you need to access the file there. I suggest using dropbox or google drive to autosync your files between partitions, that way when you make a change to the design on the mac-side your file will automatically be updated on your windows partition and ready for immediate syncing.

Jon Colley
09-25-2014, 3:40 PM
You will need Windows to run Job Control or MiniManager depending on your system. Fortunately, you don't need any design software on the PC side though. You can create PDF's in Illustrator and then open and print them from Adobe Reader on the PC side to the laser software. We have many users that run like this and it works perfectly.

Tanya Bishop
09-27-2014, 4:06 AM
Thanks Chris, Jason and Jon!!! That's great - such a great help the people on this forum :)

Cheers!

Doug Griffith
09-27-2014, 7:40 PM
You will need Windows to run Job Control or MiniManager depending on your system. Fortunately, you don't need any design software on the PC side though. You can create PDF's in Illustrator and then open and print them from Adobe Reader on the PC side to the laser software. We have many users that run like this and it works perfectly.

You can print while not having Illustrator on the PC side but the ability to do quick edits and enabling/disabling/sorting of layers will not be possible. You'll be bouncing back and forth between operating systems far too often. I went the sneaker-net route and have a cheap PC running illustrator hooked up to my laser.