PDA

View Full Version : Too funny.....

Rich Engelhardt
09-23-2014, 7:59 PM
Ok, so the carpet on the family room stairs has given up the ghost.
No problem, I bought some oak treads for the stairs a few years ago and just haven't gotten around to putting them in.
On Sunday, I called Lowes customer service and had them price match a set of Stairtek 5-in x 12-in Plastic Tread Templates for $19.99 (the price at Home Depot)

Today I get a call that the item is at the store and ready for pick up.

My wife and I stop at Lowes and go to the customer service desk. The girl calls to the back so someone can pull the item and bring it up front.
They can't seem to locate the item by the description - a stair template. :D LOL!
After what seemed like forever, this guy comes walking up with a little package about half the size of a shoe box.

He says to me, "We better open this and check it to make sure it isn't damaged".

I laughed and said, "BS! You just want to open this and see what in the world the thing is don't you?! "

The guy laughed and said, "Yeah, you caught me! I have no idea what this thing is and I'm dyeing to know! I can't see how a box so small can have a stair template!"

We open the box and look inside and sure enough - the set is just what I ordered.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_422639-22526-STTRTO_0__?productId=4068079

I took them out and explained exactly how to use them and what they are for. The guy was really thankful to me for showing him what the things were and how they worked. I felt pretty good also showing someone something new.
I just got a kick out of the look on the guys face when I told him I knew he just wanted to know what was in the box and how it worked. :D

Mike Circo
09-24-2014, 9:37 AM
If you want to feel really good... tell us how it works!
I for one am stumped on how that is used for making stairs.

Brian Tymchak
09-24-2014, 11:46 AM
If you want to feel really good... tell us how it works!
I for one am stumped on how that is used for making stairs.

Yep, me too. Not a clue how to use those..

George Bokros
09-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Rich leave it to you to come up with some weird tool.

Joe Kieve
09-24-2014, 12:01 PM
No stairs in my house, (thank goodness) so have no need for one. But...I'm curious too. How do you use it?

Jim Rimmer
09-24-2014, 1:03 PM
I don't know how to use them either but I love their accuracy spec: "Very"

Jim Koepke
09-24-2014, 1:18 PM
This video will tell you what you want to know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSogVOmz5O4

Looks like he made his own.

I don't know how to use them either but I love their accuracy spec: "Very"

LOL! Yes, that also caught my eye.

jtk

Michael Weber
09-24-2014, 1:20 PM
It requires a piece of wood to hold the two parts against the skirt board. They are then adjusted fit the proper width and angle if necessary so you have an exact match to use as a template to cut the new tread.

Rich Engelhardt
09-24-2014, 2:25 PM
Haha!
Yep like the video shows & like Michael points out, you attach a piece of wood in between the ends then use them to create an exact template for each tread and riser.

I can't recall who it was here at SMC that mentioned this tool and how they wouldn't be without it.

Sam Murdoch
09-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Haha!
Yep like the video shows & like Michael points out, you attach a piece of wood in between the ends then use them to create an exact template for each tread and riser.

I can't recall who it was here at SMC that mentioned this tool and how they wouldn't be without it.

Yes, and combined with a track saw you can get perfect fits between your stringers for on site work no matter the angle of the pieces as they fit either side between the stingers.

In the case where you house your treads and risers into the stringer that is more of a shop project and the parts can be cut repeatedly perfectly square and and to the same dimension. The template jig is really a site build tool in which case it is a treasure.

Rich Engelhardt
09-25-2014, 7:10 AM
Sam!
The man weighs in!
Thank you, I couldn't for the life of me remember exactly who it was that recommended the template.