PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Commonly Used Laser Materials?

Kit Dumph
09-23-2014, 1:17 PM
Now that the laser is purchased I'm looking at suppliers for materials. I'v ordered catalogs from JDS and Jhonstons, are there others I should consider? The business side is going to focus on industrial and b2b work so signs, tags and that sort.

What are the 10 most commonly used materials in your shops?

Does anyone offer a starter packaged with most of them in it? Anyone have some scraps that I could buy?

Also wanted to thank everyone here. I think I have about 20+ hours in reading all the great information that has been put out on these forms. I can't wait to start contributing.

AL Ursich
09-23-2014, 2:19 PM
Leather and thin wood need to be on your list. Check out Laserbits dot com for ideas too including foils.

Kit Dumph
09-23-2014, 3:47 PM
what are those?

Skyler Bierley
09-23-2014, 4:09 PM
Common Engraveable materials would be Wood(Alder, Cherry and Walnut), Acrylic, Laserable Plastic, Glass, Painted Brass, Anodized Aluminum, Corian/Avonite, Marble and Metals with a Cermark(Thermark) Coating. There are others but Ive worked with mostly those I listed. The most common ones I have work with would be Wood, Plastic, Brass and Aluminum. AL already pointed you toward Laserbits which is a great site however I find they are a little pricey. A supplier my company has recently started using is Bur-Lane, you could check them out too.