PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil Question

Dave Fritz
09-23-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm finishing a natural edge cherry burl bowl with Danish oil. In order to get finish on the uneven rim I dabbed it on pretty heavy with a brush. I tried to wipe off the excess with a paper towel but found I missed one little spot. The oil has come off the rim on the side and left a tacky spot.

I'm wondering how to deal with that?

Just let it dry and then rub it back with fine steel wool?

Thanks for your input.

Dave Fritz

Prashun Patel
09-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Moisten a rag with a little mineral spirits or even a little more danish oil and then wipe the spot gently. Then buff the area with a cleaner cloth if necessary.

Dave Fritz
09-23-2014, 4:27 PM
Thanks Prashun, worked beautifully.

Dave

Reed Gray
09-23-2014, 6:12 PM
Oil will also bubble up from any crack or hole. This can be a real problem with burl pieces, and bark. You can leave it clean at night and find blemishes in the morning. I will take the air hose to it to blow out most of the excess out. If it is too dry/set up when you get to it to remove it with thinner or more finish, then the steel wool works well.

robo hippy

Dave Fritz
09-24-2014, 9:25 AM
Reed, that's exactly what happened. So if I understand correctly, you apply a coat of finish, wipe if off, then blow it out and wipe it off again?

Dave Fritz

Prashun Patel
09-24-2014, 9:32 AM
or you can just come back every so often and dab up any bleed.

Finishes with oil can do this when applied heavily; that is, if you soak a porous piece heavily. To eliminate that problem, you can apply the oil more lightly. Apply it to a rag in quarter-sized puddles and wipe it on instead of directly to the wood. Rub the finish in until it basically disappears. Hand-rubbed polishings like this give a good looking, quicker drying finish. The downside is that you need a little bit of elbow grease and may need a couple more coats vis-a-vis 2-3 soakings.

Although, this is all nitpicking. You've seen how easy bleed-back is to remedy. With enough patience and willingness to put on one more coat, it's really hard to screw up a DO finish unless you let it pool and gum for a long time.

Reed Gray
09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Generally for this type of finish, I will thin it by half with mineral spirits. This mostly lets it penetrate in much deeper. If there are holes that I know will bleed, then I will blow them out and wipe it off. I try to get one more wipe off session before I go to bed. At least 2 coats of the thinned out finish, then a couple of coats of the straight from the can finish. I do like to let the first coat dry for a couple of days before I put the next coats on.

robo hippy

Dave Fritz
09-24-2014, 2:52 PM
Thank you guys, this has been really helpful.

Dave