PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Ranger?

Matt Meiser
07-10-2005, 9:52 PM
I'm considering buying a 95 Ranger Supercab that someone near me is selling. I'm wondering how it will do carrying sheet goods and other woodworking related items?

Cecil Arnold
07-10-2005, 9:59 PM
If it is a styleside you will have over 48" between the wheels, however make sure you have something to tie down with, since the bed lenght is not 8'.

Tony Falotico
07-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Matt, I bought a brand new one in 1994, drove it for 40K miles, my daughter "borrowed it" to go off to school, put a additional 110K on it and returned it seven years later, now my son drives it back and forth to work. Been hit twice (thanks to my son both times), I've pulled U Hauls to and from shows, moved my daughter 200 miles in it, moved my son 300 miles and then back again with it. It has been a super work horse for us. The only non routine maintenance was a re-built tranny at about 65K, cost me $1600.

It is an extended cab, XLT, 3.0 liter V6 with a five speed transmission.

In answer to your question, a 4x8 sheet won't sit flat on the bed, the wheel wells are inda way. It has two sets of indents on the inside of the bed, you cut two 2x4's to length, drop 'em in the indents, and a sheet of plywood sits flat in the bed above the wheel wells. Tailgate stays down, so ya needs to tie 'em in DAMHIKT (embarrassing moment at a stop light!).

You can also slide 'em in over wheel wells and let them rest on the top of the closed tailgate.

Jonathan Szczepanski
07-11-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm considering buying a 95 Ranger Supercab that someone near me is selling. I'm wondering how it will do carrying sheet goods and other woodworking related items?

Matt -

My first - and only - vehicle is a '95 Ranger XLT SuperCab 3.0 V6 Five-speed. I bought it used when I graduate college. It now has 112,000+ miles on it and it still runs great.

For plywood I just leave the tailgate up and slide the plywood into the bed. Because it is slanted from resting on the tailgate, I don't need to tie it down. I have a cap for the bed as well. I've managed to take 10 sheets of 3/4 ply in the Ranger - 11 in the bed, and 4 tied to the roof. Not recommended, but possible.

For long pieces of wood I will just tie them to the top of the cap. No problems at all.

Other loads I have carried:
- 1 yard of topsoil
- 1 yard of mulch
- 1800 lbs. of pea gravel (slow and low, but it worked)
- Many pieces of yard equipment.

Bob Johnson2
07-11-2005, 7:52 AM
I'm on my 3rd Ranger, as some have said a sheet won't fit in the bed flat but will fit in above the wheel wells. You either angle it in over the tail gate on a couple 2x's, build some sort of 2x rack to hold the sheets over the wheels, or use a rack. I use a cap with a rack on it but you do need to wait till there is no rain.

Donnie Raines
07-11-2005, 3:24 PM
Never owned one but I sure did test drive a few when i was looking for a new truck over the past few weeks. I liked the truck a lot...but it just seemed to small, both inside and out. To me the 3.0 was underpowered. I opted for the Dakota.

For what that was worth....since I am not an owner..... :rolleyes:

Billy Reynolds
07-12-2005, 1:22 PM
Purchased a 94 Range super cab new. It's still going strong with 138,000 miles. The best vehicle I have ever owned. I use two 2x4 and leave the tail gate up with the sheet goods on top. :) :)

Lou Morrissette
07-12-2005, 5:39 PM
Matt,

I've had a 2000 XLT Extracab with the 3.0L engine and found it to be a great truck in it's class although a little under powered. Unfortunately, somebody broadsided me and rolled it over. I've since bought a 2003 Extracab with the 4.0L and I absolutely love it. I have a bedliner with 4 sets of indents for 2X4"s and that gives me plenty of support for sheet goods with as mentioned, the tailgate down. Great truck.

Lou

Matt Meiser
07-12-2005, 6:51 PM
My wife dropped off a deposit on it tonight and we're finishing the deal on Saturday. The truck has high miles because the owner drives about 60 miles each way to work, but its all highway. It is very clean, and we're getting it for $2500, so I figure that even if we end up putting an engine and trans in it later, we're still getting a good deal after looking at several other trucks for a lot more money. I'll post the mandatory pics when we get it.

Michael McDuffie
07-13-2005, 8:17 PM
I have a 1974 Ranger F250 with a 390/4V.;) It will hold 4 X 8 sheets flat with the gate up and I've hauled over 4000 pounds of sand with it. Paid $2500 for it.

Michael

Bob Johnson2
07-13-2005, 8:34 PM
I have a 1974 Ranger F250 with a 390/4V.;) It will hold 4 X 8 sheets flat with the gate up and I've hauled over 4000 pounds of sand with it. Paid $2500 for it.

Michael

Ah the good old days, my 1st truck was a real Ranger F100, before they shrunk it.