PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Purchased the iPhone 6?

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
There's an article online stating Mac sold 10 million new iPhone 6 models this last weekend. Which one of our members now sports one?

Keith Outten
09-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Not Yet!

My phone plan doesn't expire until December so we are considering changing our provider and will wait until then to purchase new phones. Both my daughters got iPhone 6's last Friday and they are both pleased with the new phones.

Matt Meiser
09-23-2014, 1:01 PM
The Fedex guy dropped mine off just before noon on Friday. The bigger screen on the 6 is nice and the thinner phone makes up for the larger phone to me. I saw a 6 Plus at the store while their to trade in my 5 and I think that's way too big for convenience.

I also discovered improved wifi performance--got 105mbps on a speed test this morning (my wired laptop gets about 120.) The selection of good cases is pretty poor right now. Had to settle for boring black and grey. I want to try out the slow speed video on the camera at my daughter's next volleyball game.

From my point of view the iOS 8 changes are minor.

Brett Luna
09-23-2014, 1:09 PM
The wife and I both picked ours up on Friday at the Eagle River AT&T store. They were pretty busy but we only waited about 15 or 20 minutes to be served. This is the first time we've upgrade to the latest and greatest release since we bought our Gen 1 phones on opening day...way back when. Since then, we skipped the 3G, bought the 3GS right after the 4 came out, bought the 4S just before the 5 debuted and skipped the 5/5S/5C line completely. So, we were due for an upgrade.

Eric DeSilva
09-23-2014, 1:18 PM
I ordered a couple (me, wife) from the AT&T website a week ago Sunday. Figured it would be a long wait since we didn't do it first thing, but my wife's got delivered two days ago and mine is coming tonight. I was also looking at the 6+ until I printed out the size cut-outs from Ars Technica--as soon as I picked up the 6+ cut-out, I realized I wasn't going to like it.

thomas hsieh
09-23-2014, 7:58 PM
The only thing im interested in is Applepay. It will be a while to see it in all stores. I will wait for 6s.

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 8:35 PM
Does the 6 model use the same adapter as the 5? We have two different adapters for the 4s and 5 models.

Matt Meiser
09-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes they kept the Lightning connector.

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Got a 6 on Friday at AT&T store (launch day) - decided in store that the 6+ was tooooo big and went for 64GB in space grey.

found a case I liked (Ballistic brand) at Best Buy - it's similar to the Otterbox Commuter - but has rubber corners that will provide more protection when it drops.

so far, I like it. seems much faster than my 4S

Jason Roehl
09-24-2014, 5:55 AM
I'll probably get a 6 next February or so, but this is food for thought about the 6+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

Scott Shepherd
09-24-2014, 8:13 AM
The only thing im interested in is Applepay. It will be a while to see it in all stores. I will wait for 6s.

Maybe not! 2015 brings some new laws into place on the credit card processing fronts, which means most people will have to replace their credit card readers in 2015. If they are replacing them, it's easy to get the models that handle NFC. Watch for a large swap out of credit card readers in the coming months. I know I've started seeing new models in entire chains already. I haven't paid attention whether or not they were NFC compatible or not, but I have seen a lot of them being replaced recently.

Eric DeSilva
09-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Interestingly, I understand the iP6 can be charged faster with a higher wattage wall wart than the standard that Apple gives you. If you use your iPad charger, it is supposed to charge faster. http://deals.kinja.com/apples-iphone-charger-robs-the-iphone-6-of-its-best-hid-1638207695/+shepmcallister

Matt Day
09-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Lots of media attention about the new iPhone bending. I'm hoping it's mostly the 6+, since I'll probably get the 6 in a few months.

Scott Shepherd
09-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Lots of media attention about the new iPhone bending. I'm hoping it's mostly the 6+, since I'll probably get the 6 in a few months.

That's what happens when you put a thin piece of aluminum in your pocket and sit on it repeatedly.

Phones bending have been reported by all manufacturers since the phones came out. Google "bent phone" and you'll find a lot of photos. I think people that put a $600 phone in their back pocket and sit on it, shouldn't be allowed to have $600 phones ;)

Myk Rian
09-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Guy in Australia that bought the very first 6 sold, opened the box for the cameras, and it fell to the sidewalk.
Luckily it didn't break.

Mike Henderson
09-24-2014, 12:37 PM
This will offer some makers of the cases for the 6+ the opportunity to put reinforcing into the case to prevent bending. It'll help them sell cases.

Mike

Mark Bolton
09-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I think CNET already did a drop test. I briefly scanned it and didnt look like they did well. I left iPhone because they just seemed to be getting too fragile.

Scott Shepherd
09-24-2014, 1:05 PM
Oh, I don't know, this guy did drop testing and I thought they held up extremely well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZpAr0S4Ik

Matt Meiser
09-24-2014, 1:48 PM
I think CNET already did a drop test. I briefly scanned it and didnt look like they did well. I left iPhone because they just seemed to be getting too fragile.

Uh....http://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-squaretrade-torture-test/

And that's without cases.

thomas hsieh
09-24-2014, 2:52 PM
Maybe not! 2015 brings some new laws into place on the credit card processing fronts, which means most people will have to replace their credit card readers in 2015. If they are replacing them, it's easy to get the models that handle NFC. Watch for a large swap out of credit card readers in the coming months. I know I've started seeing new models in entire chains already. I haven't paid attention whether or not they were NFC compatible or not, but I have seen a lot of them being replaced recently.

The people who will lag in this are small businesses.

Matt Day
09-24-2014, 9:48 PM
I always have my phone (iphone5) in my front pocket. But I am on the ground playing with my two kids quite a bit so I was somewhat concerned about the bending. Good call on the protective cases.

Peter Kelly
09-25-2014, 11:32 PM
if you're looking for a case, these are best: http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6-plus.html