PDA

View Full Version : Moen Kitchen Faucet

George Bokros
09-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I fixed a Moen kitchen faucet for my aunt yesterday. I diagnosed it as the handle was not replaced correctly when her daughter replaced the cartridge. I did not remove the cartridge nor did I do anything with the water line connections.

My aunt today said the hot and cold were opposite where they were before I fixed the handle issue. I did nothing that should change that, removing the single handle and correctly installing it would not change that.

My question is could installing the cartridge incorrectly cause that? I do not see how that could cause this because all the faucets I have worked on the cartridge can only be installed in one position, am I correct in thinking this??

Just puzzled that's all.

Mark Bolton
09-23-2014, 11:16 AM
It depends on which cartridge it is but I believe many of the moen's will reverse the hot and cold with a 180 degree rotation of the stem (not the cartridge) but it doesnt sound like you did this. It use to actually be a selling point in the trade for guys who occasionally wound up pluming hot on the right.

George Bokros
09-23-2014, 12:42 PM
It depends on which cartridge it is but I believe many of the moen's will reverse the hot and cold with a 180 degree rotation of the stem (not the cartridge) but it doesnt sound like you did this. It use to actually be a selling point in the trade for guys who occasionally wound up pluming hot on the right.

Yikes, I may have not knowingly done that. Guess I owe her a return visit.

Thanks Mark

Robert LaPlaca
09-23-2014, 5:38 PM

+1, have experienced that same phenomenon with a shower valve

Richard Moran
09-24-2014, 2:35 PM
Yep, it happened to me when I changed a kitchen faucet cartridge (4th time now).

Moen's are guaranteed for life, and you'll spend the rest of your life repairing them - for free - if you call them for the parts and can wait for them to ship ...

Next time I'll try a Kohler or something else.

Mark Bolton
09-24-2014, 6:08 PM
I've not had that experience with Moen. They have always beeb good quality. Since Kohler has merged with sterling I have noticed a drastic effect on quality but that doesn't mean they are at the level of price Pfister. Just not what Kohler use to be.

The sad fact is that so much of it is locationally dependant. Imagine having to blanket warranty a fixture that you have no idea is on hard, soft, well, cal/mag, city, creek, whatever, water. Its lunacy.

It just goes to show how unrealistic the buying public has become at the hands of the home centers.

Imagine a faucet that lives its life behind the worst water in the US and its warrantied for life. That will never balance out.

Shawn Pixley
09-24-2014, 9:44 PM
I'm glad you've had a good experience with Moen as I haven't. We have good water and aren't inordinantly hard on them but after two years they're dead. I've gone to Hans Grohe faucets that I found on sale at a plumbing supply store. Definately a step up IMO.

Tim Offutt
09-24-2014, 10:47 PM
I agree with Shawn. Grohe faucets are incredible. Expensive compared to what you find at the BORG but much better. i have bought several NOS units on ebay for less than half of normal retail. i have two that have seen daily use for 14 years with zero problems.

Tim