PDA

View Full Version : Shop Wristwatch Give Away

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 11:06 AM
About this time every year I go through wristwatches that aren't going to make the cut. Last year the Mickey Mouse watches found new homes. This year it's time to find new homes for an old hand wind Gruen model and a more recent battery-powered Timex model. Both have been well used in the past but simply take up sock drawer space these days. They need a home with a woodworker who needs an everyday shop watch sort of thing. If you are a member who posts on a regular basis who needs a watch to wear, send an e-mail so these can go to a new home. Indicate which watch you would like.

The Gruen is about 34mm in diameter, has a screw back design, and is at least 40 years old. It keeps perfect time and will likely last for another lifetime. It's Swiss made and a waterproof Precision model. Has a few scratches on the crystal and you need to wind it daily.

The Timex is 40mm and has a black military dial on it (24 hour markings). It sports a snap-back design and has the date just to the left of the "3" on the dial. It's the current model Timex Weekend Sport Watch Nubuck. Runs and operates well, and well.....it's a Timex.

John Coloccia
09-23-2014, 11:11 AM
I'd love the Gruen!

You'll think I'm crazy but my everyday watch when I wear one, including in the shop, is an old Omega Constellation. :eek: It was my father's. He bought it about 30 years ago. :)

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 11:14 AM
John, you chose wisely. I have kept six of Pappy's Gruen watches in the collection. He'd be glad to know another of his is back at work. PM me with your address and it will go out in the mail.

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 11:17 AM
That was fast, but it leaves the Timex up for grabs.

Jim Koepke
09-23-2014, 12:47 PM
For some reason watches seem to quit when I wear them.

I haven't worn a watch in years.

Now, being retired, it really doesn't matter what time it is. Usually about 5:00 my tummy tells me it is time to eat. Most important time all day.

jtk

Art Mulder
09-23-2014, 4:37 PM
About this time every year I go through wristwatches that aren't going to make the cut.

Umm, are you a compulsive watch purchaser??? :confused:

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 4:59 PM
Umm, are you a compulsive watch purchaser??? :confused:
Someone gave me the Timex for fixing an item on his house. I inherited the Gruen. Just like to not have items not in use.....sending these off and selling about ten more on the Internet will slim the collection down to about two dozen....a few members here have that many bandsaws..... where is Dave when I need someone to say this isn't bad?

Myk Rian
09-23-2014, 5:04 PM
Mary absolutely loves her Mickey Mouse watch. She's a real MM fan. Ringtone is the MM club song.
Rich, what do you use to condition the leather bands? I have a pilots holster for a 1911a 45 auto I would like to do. It belonged to my Father.

John Coloccia
09-23-2014, 5:06 PM
For some reason watches seem to quit when I wear them.

I haven't worn a watch in years.

Now, being retired, it really doesn't matter what time it is. Usually about 5:00 my tummy tells me it is time to eat. Most important time all day.

jtk

I've not owned many watches...it's just not my thing. That said, I've always had GREAT luck. Can you believe that I had an old Casio G-Shock in high school. I abused it. I dropped it off the roof of my friend's apartment building, just because I could. I never changed the battery. I found it a number of years ago. It was still going strong...on the original battery....about 15 years after I bought it. Not only that, my HOMEROOM ALARM was still going off. I think homeroom was at 8:29 (they used odd hours for some reason), and the alarm was set to go off at 8:24, or something like that. I never heard it because it lived in a box, buried in another box. I think it only rang for a minute, or something like that, but I think I actually ended up finding it because I was packing to move, and I heard a faint *BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP* coming from somewhere.

Now that has to be some kind of record. I think I eventually just tossed it, because I really didn't need an old, beat up G-Shock. Maybe I held onto it until the battery finally died. I don't remember anymore.

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 5:26 PM
You can use saddle soap on the leather to condition it. I actually have a gun holster and use Meltonian creme to keep it good. That's what I use on all the leather shoes (couple dozen of them too) to keep them soft and moist. Works like a charm.

Myk Rian
09-23-2014, 5:44 PM
Here's a Timex skit our senior center did in 2011.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCTZgR1rLQ

Moses Yoder
09-23-2014, 5:52 PM
I will take the Timex if it is still available, I did not notice anyone asking for it. I can definitely use it. PM on the way.

Rich Riddle
09-23-2014, 8:21 PM
I will take the Timex if it is still available, I did not notice anyone asking for it. I can definitely use it. PM on the way.
Moses, your e-mail with message came through. I will mail the Timex to you tomorrow.

John Coloccia
09-29-2014, 12:02 PM
The watch came. I'm wearing it right now. Thanks, Rich!